Need help to bundle up for Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
I have a 9" sulcata, and I live in Southern Louisiana. Right now the weather is perfect for me, but I think it is getting a little chilly for Percy. It gets down to the sixties at night.

Pretty soon it will get down to the 50's and 40's and we do occasionally get 30* weather. The moisture in the air is what makes it seem REALLY cold. In our backyard we have a shed which isn't 100% waterproof because of roof damage due to the recent hurricanes. Which means it also isn't 100% wind proof. Which also means I can't let him have just free range of the shed.

However, I was thinking of trying to buy some sort of large container big enough for Percy to stay in during the winter. I was thinking of just putting the container in the shed with aspen shavings and a heat lamp and a burrow of some sort.

Does this sound like a good idea? What else should I provide? What kind of container would provide some sort of insulation (more than those rubbermaid containers)?

What temperatures can Percy stand during the day? At what point should I stop letting him graze during the day? Should I put a lid on his container?

Does anyone have something similar to this and can share pictures?

Thanks!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I haven't made these yet but I've been looking at this idea for years, mine are small enough that they are inside, but here is a box that chipdog made for his alabs. I would use the lid, and make some ventalation holes, and a regular bulb so he has daylight. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-4432.html

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
thanks! I had missed that thread - is that good for a 9" sulcata? And should I let him go in and out when it is cold outside?

I am also scared of bugs. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.