Lighting suggestions

NationMostWanted

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Correct. No halogens, no spots bulbs, no mercury vapor bulbs and no cfl type UV bulbs.
So testing what you said to do, the spot under my heat light the thermometer gauge is reading 100, but when I use my infrared light and point onto my thermo gauge it's reading 115? I'm guessing the gauge will be hotter if light it warming the gauge.

I was testing hanging it or stacking it on top of enclosure. Without temp gun the temp goes over 100 on enclosure. With it hanging it's about 99/100 I'm seeing.

Last edited:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
So testing what you said to do, the spot under my heat light the thermometer gauge is reading 100, but when I use my infrared light and point onto my thermo gauge it's reading 115? I'm guessing the gauge will be hotter if light it warming the gauge.
What kind of gauge is it? If it’s one of those dial ones, they can be very inaccurate, I’d go with the temp gun readings, I’d also double check with a digital thermometer. 115 is too hot for a basking spot and could cause fatal overheating

NationMostWanted

CA
What kind of gauge is it? If it’s one of those dial ones, they can be very inaccurate, I’d go with the temp gun readings, I’d also double check with a digital thermometer. 115 is

What kind of gauge is it? If it’s one of those dial ones, they can be very inaccurate, I’d go with the temp gun readings, I’d also double check with a digital thermometer. 115 is too hot for a basking spot and could cause fatal overheating
I think without it hanging the infrared is reading the bulb somehow. With it hanging temp gun and analog temp gauge is reading about 96 ish.

NationMostWanted

CA
My humidity is in 30s tho, but I don't anything inside there yet and just started playing with temp. The mulch is supposed to help change that?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I think without it hanging the infrared is reading the bulb somehow. With it hanging temp gun and analog temp gauge is reading about 96 ish.
I’d get a digital monitor then check with the temp gun to make sure, but 96 is a fine reading for directly underneath the bulb, height might need adjusting as you add substrate.
My humidity is in 30s tho, but I don't anything inside there yet and just started playing with temp. The mulch is supposed to help change that?
Don’t suppose you could attach a photo of the enclosure? Is it a closed chamber? Substrate and moisture help the humidity yes🙂

NationMostWanted

CA
I’d get a digital monitor then check with the temp gun to make sure, but 96 is a fine reading for directly underneath the bulb, height might need adjusting as you add substrate.

Don’t suppose you could attach a photo of the enclosure? Is it a closed chamber? Substrate and moisture help the humidity yes🙂
Here how it looks now

Attachments

• 20240818_172743.jpg
    20240818_172743.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240818_172751.jpg
    20240818_172751.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240818_172818.jpg
    20240818_172818.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I was testing hanging it or stacking it on top of enclosure. Without temp gun the temp goes over 100 on enclosure. With it hanging it's about 99/100 I'm seeing.
Wherever the sensor is on that digital thermometer, it hasn't fully warmed. The infrared temp gun is reading the surface temperature. How long did you let the digital thermometer sit and cook?

Nevermind, I just scrolled up and see that your are using on of those stick-on thermometers. Those are junk. Not reliable at all. Get a digital. Something like one of these:
thermopro-outdoor-hygrometers-tp-50-c3_max.jpg

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Here how it looks now
This is for a baby Russian correct? I’m afraid those wooden tortoise houses aren’t appropriate to hold the humidity a hatchling needs😣, you could place inside a grow tent as a temporary measure, but ultimately the wood isn’t going to last😕
I’d encourage you read this through for a better starter set up, the hatchling phase is so important to get right💚🐢

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of these things balance each other. The substrate will add humidity. As the water evaporates from the substrate, it will create a cooling effect. This is why you need to set everything up and run it for a few days to make sure everything is adjusted correctly.

NationMostWanted

CA
Wherever the sensor is on that digital thermometer, it hasn't fully warmed. The infrared temp gun is reading the surface temperature. How long did you let the digital thermometer sit and cook?

Nevermind, I just scrolled up and see that your are using on of those stick-on thermometers. Those are junk. Not reliable at all. Get a digital. Something like one of these:
View attachment 377647
I'll grab one of these

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Just be aware you won’t be able to get humidity where it needs to be without putting inside some sort of grow tent, you won’t be able to achieve 80+ a baby needs with an open top like that, and like I say the wood will give in eventually so I’d think ahead👍

NationMostWanted

CA
Just be aware you won’t be able to get humidity where it needs to be without putting inside some sort of grow tent, you won’t be able to achieve 80+ a baby needs with an open top like that, and like I say the wood will give in eventually so I’d think ahead👍
I see how it goes for now then since I have it already.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I see how it goes for now then since I have it already.
Unfortunately I’ve lost count of the people who have brought them, found it impossible to maintain humidity and their baby has started to pyramid, if using this for a bit(which I understand now you’ve brought it) I’d get yourself some cheap pond lining to put under your substrate, cause that base will rot a lot quicker otherwise, then have a look for a grow tent, without the tent, I honestly wouldn’t house them in it, you’ll find you’ll spray/pour which may boost humidity temporarily but I promise it’ll drop right back down, it needs to be maintained to keep your baby appropriately hydrated and aid in smooth growth

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This person was in the same position but was able to use the tent to get by with the base until a more permanent solution was found🙂

Attachments

• IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 1

NationMostWanted

CA
Unfortunately I’ve lost count of the people who have brought them, found it impossible to maintain humidity and their baby has started to pyramid, if using this for a bit(which I understand now you’ve brought it) I’d get yourself some cheap pond lining to put under your substrate, cause that base will rot a lot quicker otherwise, then have a look for a grow tent, without the tent, I honestly wouldn’t house them in it, you’ll find you’ll spray/pour which may boost humidity temporarily but I promise it’ll drop right back down, it needs to be maintained to keep your baby appropriately hydrated and aid in smooth growth
The base on mine is plastic tho, I would have to line even then?

NationMostWanted

CA
It might do depending on how sealed things are, the tops on those ones tend not to be, I’d probably use foil instead of a bin bag
I'll monitor the next day or two what my humidity is and I'll see if I need to do that. Thanks for the help. I added some water and unless my gauge is completely off it was staying around 96F at basking spot, 80-85 in warm area and 80 in cool area. Humidity was reading at a little over 70%