Glass Terrarium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elahmine

5 Year Member
So I've recently become the proud mommy of two russian tortoise. I did realize when I bought them that Glass terrariums where not ideal. Is going to kill my tortoise or make them sick? Can I use a rubbermaid container and just by the clip on lights?

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
It will not kill them. Mine are in glass, but I am building a wood tort table. They need lots of room so make sure what ever you get is big. It is not good for them to be able to see through their enclosure, so get something that isn't clear or block out their view with tape or paper. Someone else is going to have to answer your lighting question. Good luck!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Yes, a plastic mortar tub is better than glass. $12.48 at Lowz. The main con about aquariums is the lack of ventilation hence the greenhouse effect.

Clip on light do pop off and ignite mulch. It happens too many times. I highly recommend using the lamp stands and hanging the lamp fixture.

Use your incandescent lamp to heat the air and rely on fluorescents to provide the UVB. I use GE Reveals with wattages just enough to keep the temps in the 80's.

Right now I am using a 45w lamp, and 2 Zoomed Desert UVB 10.0 fluorescents over the 5 foot wooden Tortoise table.

Status
Not open for further replies.