Need help with Elongateds

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
As some of you may remember, my husband gave me 3 elongateds for Xmas. So far, things are not going well. I de-wormed two of them, but I can't get the third one's head out - no mater what I do! They also have not eaten. I have tried everything I can think of. Other than a couple bites of banana (which one of the females took) they won't eat anything. I'm at a loss and need advice. They are mostly inside now, although I put them outside on warm days. I keep their tub humid (around 70-80.) The temps are 110 in the basking area and an ambient temp of 80ish. They get no colder than 68 at night. Help!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Have you tried mixed vegetables, hard boiled eggs, pothos, mushrooms, sweet potato, Christmas cactus,(i had a sickly import mee that loved it). also 110 may be to hot for them, and being a forest tortoise, bright intense lighting may also bother them. Good Luck.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Mine absolutely love strawberries, mushrooms as well. What substrates are you using? I provide mine with piles of leaves to hide in Try keeping them individually, the indotestudo are not the most social genus. The temps may be a little warm, I keep a few at ambient room temps during the winter, 76-82F. Others live in an unheated greenhouse during the winter. The females often stay under the ceramic heat emitters in there.
What meds have you given them, and how? Do you soak them often?
I have been keeping elongata about four years, forstenii for about ten.
They are both what I consider hardy tortoises, when healthy.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Unless you have had Fecals done, and know what you're treating, De-worming is only going to serve to further stress the animals out and have negative effects. They need to be kept quiet, with very little intervention. These are going to be very shy animals at this point. Offer bright colored Fruit and any type of Protein. Mice, Rats, Chicks, etc. If they aren't stressed, they'll start eating. At this point, it is best to leave them be, and maybe check on them every other day. Everything else seems correct, and they will use that basking spot as they start acclimating.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Thank you everyone - yes the had fecals and need to be wormed - that's why I've been stressing about it. I believe they are also wild caught so I can imagine the parasites could be a problem. Knowing this, do you think it's still best not to worry about worming them for a while?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
Thank you everyone - yes the had fecals and need to be wormed - that's why I've been stressing about it. I believe they are also wild caught so I can imagine the parasites could be a problem. Knowing this, do you think it's still best not to worry about worming them for a while?

Parasites are a non-issue if the animals aren't stressed. Stress and a Parasite load will kill them. I only worm animals that have an obvious issue, and they are strategically medicated, not the typical Panacur and Flagyl, which doesn't work in the long run........

These animals are designed to have a Parasite load, and as long as their Immune systems aren't depressed, they deal with them just fine. Giving them proper husbandry will let them cycle it out themselves, rather than using man made Poisons and Anti-Biotics for short term effects........

Status
Not open for further replies.