Need help with varied diet

BurtTheTurt

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a 4 yr old Redfoot and I’m struggling to feed him a proper varied diet. I am terrible at keeping plants alive, especially in the winter months. Most of his food comes from the supermarket and it’s really not all that ‘varied’. What can I purchase that is ready to eat and will give him the extra nutrients he needs? Dried flowers? Other foods by mail?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 4 yr old Redfoot and I’m struggling to feed him a proper varied diet. I am terrible at keeping plants alive, especially in the winter months. Most of his food comes from the supermarket and it’s really not all that ‘varied’. What can I purchase that is ready to eat and will give him the extra nutrients he needs? Dried flowers? Other foods by mail?
Go to kapiodofarms.com. He has all sorts of different dried leaf options and loads of good stuff to mix in. Get the "Herbal Hay" from tortoisesupply.com. You can soak horse hay pellets or ZooMed tortoise food pellets to add some fiber and variety to grocery store greens too.

At the store favor endive and escarole. Add in arugula, cilantro, and dandelion greens for variety. Go easy with kale and collards, but those are good once in a while. Same with mustard or turnip greens.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot are a special species that can eat a gigantic variety of foods.
Virtually any fresh, unprocessed food you and your family eat, they can eat. With a Redfoot, there isn't much need to have "tortoise food" on hand just for your tortoise. Get creative.
Feed vegetable matter. Fruit. Meat protein, eggs, mushrooms and cactus. Etc
You can try dried products. But in my experience, Redfoot aren't generally fond of that type of food.
Mazuri 5M21 pellets are also a good part of a diet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have one of the easiest tortoises to feed. They can eat all kinds of things other tortoises can't. Shouldn't be hard at all to give a big variety.
Follow Zeropilots recommended foods.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have a 3 year old RF, after having other species, RF's are super easy to feed...DSCN2050.JPG
here she has Spring Mix w/other greens added (like Tom said) mushrooms and shredded squash this is...DSCN2436.JPG
blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries added to Spring Mix and hard boiled eggs w/the shell...she eats it all...

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I have a 3 year old RF, after having other species, RF's are super easy to feed...View attachment 366202
here she has Spring Mix w/other greens added (like Tom said) mushrooms and shredded squash this is...View attachment 366203
blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries added to Spring Mix and hard boiled eggs w/the shell...she eats it all...
Mmmm. That actually looks pretty dang appetizing to me!