Need Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

milomila

5 Year Member
I have a sulcata hatchling and his bottom shell is soft. I dont know what im doing wrong!! I researched so much before I even got him so I had everything prepared. He has heat and UVB. I sprinkle calcium on his food, I soak him and take him outside to get sun at least 30 minutes a day. Please Help!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please tell us your temps, humidity, substrate and diet. Also, how many times do you soak? Also how many times a week do you give calcium and what kind of heating and lighting devices are you using.?

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Could be hatchling failure syndrome but I don't want to jump into any conclusions like that just yet. Like Wellington said please give us as many details as possible on your care for the little guy.

milomila

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). Please tell us your temps, humidity, substrate and diet. Also, how many times do you soak? Also how many times a week do you give calcium and what kind of heating and lighting devices are you using.?
the temp is an average of 90 during the day and at the very lowest 80 during the night. I soak him every other day for up to 20 minutes. I give him calcium every time he eats which is usually store bought spring salad mix and then other times he roams and eats when i let him graze in the sun. I dont have a hydrometer so i dont know the humidity.

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
First of all take a breath, did you hatch your tortoise personally? I so then it's VERy common for a somewhat soft shell. And yes make sure your tortoise has UVB and calcium for proper shell growth, even wait a few weeks to see if it straightens out

milomila

5 Year Member
Puckles🐢 said:
First of all take a breath, did you hatch your tortoise personally? I so then it's VERy common for a somewhat soft shell. And yes make sure your tortoise has UVB and calcium for proper shell growth, even wait a few weeks to see if it straightens out
No I didn't hatch it personally. I have had him since July and it has gotten softer since i got him

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
milomila said:
wellington said:
the temp is an average of 90 during the day and at the very lowest 80 during the night. I soak him every other day for up to 20 minutes. I give him calcium every time he eats which is usually store bought spring salad mix and then other times he roams and eats when i let him graze in the sun. I dont have a hydrometer so i dont know the humidity.

90 temps all day without a higher humidity is too hot. I would cut the calcium down to no more then twice a week. Please read Toms threads below in my post for raising a healthy, smooth sulcata. I would lower the temp for now to 85 with a basking spot of 95+ And get some humidity in there, 80%. Also, getting him into the natural sunshine every day for about 30-60 minutes every day, making sure he has shade and water and that it's not too hot out will help. Soak him everyday. Is he eating, drinking, acting normal?

milomila

5 Year Member
wellington said:
milomila said:
wellington said:

90 temps all day without a higher humidity is too hot. I would cut the calcium down to no more then twice a week. Please read Toms threads below in my post for raising a healthy, smooth sulcata. I would lower the temp for now to 85 with a basking spot of 95+ And get some humidity in there, 80%. Also, getting him into the natural sunshine every day for about 30-60 minutes every day, making sure he has shade and water and that it's not too hot out will help. Soak him everyday. Is he eating, drinking, acting normal?

ok thank you i will make sure to check that out. He eats like crazy and drinks alot, but i have noticed he is not as active as usual in the pass few day

mikeh

5 Year Member
Does he get any natural sun? If no, what kind of MVB are you using and at what distance?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.