need ideas for an enclosure

Christie

Location (City and/or State)
Western North Carolina
Hi! I'm looking for advice/ideas for an enclosure for my red foot. His is a little small and we are having problems regulating the temp and humidity in ours. Any ideas or advice would be helpful! Thanks

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
How small is your little one? I am currently using a large storage tote (189L) for my 4" Cherry Head and it works perfectly with the lid on to hold in humidity and the heat lamp keeps things at the perfect temps hooked up to a thermostat. :)

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
I use a herpstat intro thermostat that has 1 plug in :) It's amazing and keeps her temps perfect all the time.
And no, I don't have any holes punched in the lid as I just place the lid on top (don't snap it down) so that there is a crack running around the rim for air. Plus I go in to check on her multiple times a day and opening the lid when I check allows air circulation as well. :) My lights I have set up so that they can be in the tub with the lid on top. ^_^

M249saw

Brooksville,Florida
I'd like to see that set up, could you post a pic? I have a hard time trying to picture the heat lamp on top without it melting the lid.

Christie

Western North Carolina
That sounds like something I need to check into getting. Thanks for telling me about it. Please post a pic if you can. I'd like to see the set up. It sounds really good. Thanks

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Here is a photo of how I set it up the day after I got her (she was in a 20 gallon long tank when I first got her for the first day).

The decor and such inside has changed since then but this shows you how I have the lights set up. :)

She won't be in this for much longer though as I'm looking for a large enough book case to convert to a new enclosure ^_^ It's good for a temporary enclosure or a baby enclosure though!

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
That's a really neat set up. It's perfect for a little one. Thanks for posting. Looks like your little has a pretty shell. ☺

Yes, it's perfect for a baby! My girl is getting too big for it now :) The tub set up is really good at keeping in humidity though so she stays nice and smooth!

Christie

Western North Carolina
I agree with you on that! @terryo where did you find a tank that big? The biggest one I can find is a 55 gallon around here. Also what kind of plants do you have in there? I'm sure it helps with the humidity. I'd love to that for squirt since he is still pretty small. My husbands a landscaper so I can get him to work his skills on it What is solo in now? Judging by that one its probably pretty awesome.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
If you're interested in plants, I'd start slowly shopping for them now. I like to let mine sit for a few months before I introduce them into the enclosure (if bought from a store). Plus, it helps the plants to slowly acclimate from the store to much warmer, humid conditions.