Red Foot Outdoor Indoor

ND135

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi I’m looking for advice on having BOTH an indoor and outdoor enclosure for my almost 2 year old red foot

We live in the Northeast and it’s summertime. I’d love to take her outside on occasion during the day for sunlight fresh air and ground.

Does anyone here keep an outdoor and indoor enclosure for a red foot? Does your red foot like the variety or freak out?

I would never leave her out overnight and I would indeed have a cover to protect her from predators.

Thanks!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I do not keep any Redfoot tortoises. Nor do I live in the Northeast. But I can tell you that outdoor enclosures should always be a goal for the tortoise keeper.

The Redfoot keeper in FL will have outdoor enclosures that look very different than the Sulcata keeper in Montana. But both of them will need to do whatever it takes to create the proper space for their tortoises.

Good for you for asking others in your area for tips on how to provide an outdoor space. I hope you get great feedback.

ND135

Maryland
I do not keep any Redfoot tortoises. Nor do I live in the Northeast. But I can tell you that outdoor enclosures should always be a goal for the tortoise keeper.

The Redfoot keeper in FL will have outdoor enclosures that look very different than the Sulcata keeper in Montana. But both of them will need to do whatever it takes to create the proper space for their tortoises.

Good for you for asking others in your area for tips on how to provide an outdoor space. I hope you get great feedback.
Thank you so much!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Redfoot all live outdoors 24/7. From small sub adults to large 50 plus year Olds. But every area isn't the same. I'm in south Florida and in the suburbs.
Most situations have many more dangers and basic difficulties than I do currently.
When is it safe to keep a Redfoot outdoors isn't a one size fits all answer. Just like WHERE is it safe.
Redfoot and other tortoises don't like change. But most of them should settle into two enclosure living.
Just make both of them as large as possible and provide hiding spots to keep him content

ND135

Maryland
My Redfoot all live outdoors 24/7. From small sub adults to large 50 plus year Olds. But every area isn't the same. I'm in south Florida and in the suburbs.
Most situations have many more dangers and basic difficulties than I do currently.
When is it safe to keep a Redfoot outdoors isn't a one size fits all answer. Just like WHERE is it safe.
Redfoot and other tortoises don't like change. But most of them should settle into two enclosure living.
Just make both of them as large as possible and provide hiding spots to keep him content
Thanks!!
I live in Maryland so having my baby outside in the winter months is a no go.

I appreciate the advice. I want to give her fresh air and sunshine but not freak her out with all of the change. I’ll likely put everything in her outdoor enclosure in the same places as her indoor for some level of consistency.

We live on water and there are lots of Osprey and Eagles so anything she goes in will be screened in! I just want her to have fresh air and real sun!!

Ignore the humidity dial on this pic I had just cleaned her enclosure and the level was building up but this is her indoor home ….
You had offered advice in a prior post and I’ll work with my brother in law on building one.

I’m kind of falling in love with this little one

Attachments

• IMG_3748.jpeg
    IMG_3748.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3640.jpeg
    IMG_3640.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

ND135

Maryland
He shows a lot of early, past pyramiding and then quite a bit of smoother growth.
His/her care has obviously improved
She came from a pet shop and I think she ate mostly pellets. I appreciate the observation I worry about pyramiding and give a little fruit 2x per week and protein in small amounts every 2 weeks.

Thanks for being here and caring!