Need recommendations for Indian star hatchling

Generation

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Currently i have a zen habitat 4x2x2, but it's obviously too big for a hatchling
I wanted to know what somebody would recommend to reach the humidity/heat requirements to help this baby thrive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Currently i have a zen habitat 4x2x2, but it's obviously too big for a hatchling
I wanted to know what somebody would recommend to reach the humidity/heat requirements to help this baby thrive.
That is not too big. That's the minimum size I recommend for a hatching.

Start here:

Read that one at least twice, and then there is a bunch more info to help you succeed here:

Generation

Iowa
That is not too big. That's the minimum size I recommend for a hatching.

Start here:

Read that one at least twice, and then there is a bunch more info to help you succeed here:
Thank you for the recommendations

i wasn't sure about the enclosure as many people i've asked told me 4x2x2 the equivalent of 120 gallons would not be good for the home and would be leaned more towards a full grown adult.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The bad thing about that Zen habitat is the wood. The amount of high humidity required for your baby will probably not be good for the wood.

Generation

Iowa
The bad thing about that Zen habitat is the wood. The amount of high humidity required for your baby will probably not be good for the wood.
i have the meridian pvc one would that one be okay?

I do have the funding to purchase other enclosures. This one was just recommended to me, but again this was for a tortoise i was going to purchase from petsmart until i came across this forum.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes, their PVC enclosure is a good choice for starting a baby star. Be sure to now get the lighting and heating correct. Use a good substrate that holds moisture well and add lots of plants. Baby stars do much better when given plants to hide beneath. Never below 80° temperature in the coldest corner of the enclosure and always above 80% humidity.

Generation

Iowa
Thank you! i will read through the guides posted on here and purchase everything that is recommended

if anyone knows where i could find a closed enclosure like the ones in Tom's guide could they inform me.

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA

I do have the funding to purchase other enclosures. This one was just recommended to me, but again this was for a tortoise i was going to purchase from petsmart until i came across this forum.
I have used the PVC Zens for a year now for my Redfoot and Emys, they are great. I just use a single 60 watt Arcadia DHP in the middle for heat and temps stay steady at 84 degrees during the day and only drop to 80 at night when the UVB and LED lights go off and honestly it's been weeks since I've watered the substrate and both enclosures still hover between 80 and 90% based on time of day. They are pretty great.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the recommendations

i wasn't sure about the enclosure as many people i've asked told me 4x2x2 the equivalent of 120 gallons would not be good for the home and would be leaned more towards a full grown adult.
2x4 feet is the minimum for a baby. An adult needs 4x8 feet.

@Markw84 makes "Smart Enclosures" that are the most perfect baby tortoise life support system ever. I've bought two so far for myself, and I've helped friends set up a bunch of them. The cost includes all of the heating and lighting already installed, and its cheaper than if you went and bought all the stuff separately and built it yourself.

Generation

Iowa
2x4 feet is the minimum for a baby. An adult needs 4x8 feet.

@Markw84 makes "Smart Enclosures" that are the most perfect baby tortoise life support system ever. I've bought two so far for myself, and I've helped friends set up a bunch of them. The cost includes all of the heating and lighting already installed, and its cheaper than if you went and bought all the stuff separately and built it yourself.
I'm local to Apcages and looking to purchase an enclosure for the future there.

Which would you recommend?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm local to Apcages and looking to purchase an enclosure for the future there.

Which would you recommend?
Oh, you are so lucky. Say hi to Alli for me.

T12, T13, or T16 for a baby.

At least a T70 for an adult. Or you can do a custom T100 that is only 24-30 inches tall, instead of 48". Alli tells me that can make one that way any time.

I prefer the glass sliding doors. Mine are white, but black is fine too. Get a six inch litter dam, and a light socket on both sides. One side will be for a basking lamp, and the other side can be for a globe type LED bulbs for brightness. An 80 watt RHP with a thermostat will maintain ambient, and you'll have to hang a ProT5 kit for UV.
IMG_5282.JPG

Generation

Iowa
Oh, you are so lucky. Say hi to Alli for me.

T12, T13, or T16 for a baby.

At least a T70 for an adult. Or you can do a custom T100 that is only 24-30 inches tall, instead of 48". Alli tells me that can make one that way any time.

I prefer the glass sliding doors. Mine are white, but black is fine too. Get a six inch litter dam, and a light socket on both sides. One side will be for a basking lamp, and the other side can be for a globe type LED bulbs for brightness. An 80 watt RHP with a thermostat will maintain ambient, and you'll have to hang a ProT5 kit for UV.
View attachment 353403
I'm going to order the T70 and get the divider so i can use it for the baby and open it up once he gets older.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm going to order the T70 and get the divider so i can use it for the baby and open it up once he gets older.
You can make your own divider pretty easily with some corrugated plastic and four 1/2 inch self tappers. You can see them in my pic above.