Need Some Advice On Quarantining New Torts...

axeman25

Location (City and/or State)
Central Michigan
Ok, So this Sunday I have a nice couple bringing me two female Russians that they can no longer take care of. They have been kept in a 40 gallon breeder tank since their enclosure was ruined last June when their basement flooded. My question is about my outdoor enclosure. It is about 7'x30' and I plan on cutting it in half, letting the ones I currently have on one side and the new girls on the other. Is there anything I can do to prepare that half of the enclosure for them? I have sprayed it down with water several times to remove and feces and stuff. This will be for about a month or so. We are moving into a new house with 2+ acres so I plan on making them a HUGE outdoor enclosure next spring. But until then I want to be able to let them out in this one without them possibly getting ill. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rake it real good. Unless you can pick up all the feces from your tortoises, it's really not a clean habitat, but I doubt you're going to run into trouble with it. Maybe sitting in the sun like it has all the "germs" will have died off by now (hopefully).

Maybe someone else has some ideas for you. Let's wait and see.

axeman25

Central Michigan
I used a power washer and literally blew most of the top layer of soil away. LOL. I can't think of anything else to do that'll get it any cleaner. The couple have had these girls together for quite a while. Right now I am so cash strapped with having to put several thousand down on the new house and getting mama her new mini-van that I would have a hard time buying the stuff to make another enclosure. I have an under the bed storage cabinet that is all wood and about 4'x4', which I know is small, but it will only be for another couple months. Plus it will be an upgrade from the 40 gallon tank their in now. The nice thing is that the couple has other reptiles that she just switched all over bottom heat so she has a bunch of MVB bulbs, and lamps that she's going to give me as well. I think it's cool that she's going to drive those girls two hours to me to make sure they have a good home.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like the power sprayer idea. As Tim Allen says more power