need some bulb advise

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cumbria england
the uv tube light needs changing i think as its about 7 month old but i'm not 100% which i need. it was in the old enclosure when i got it. the bulb is about 13 inch above the tortoise. the only thing it has written on it is uva uvb and 12% . i'm thinking i need the 10.0 uvb is that right? unfortunately i don't have a uv meter yet (saving for 1 atm) thanks in advance. this link to the bulb i think i need just need to be sure before ordering.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REPTILEPR...iles_Spiders_Insects&var=&hash=item5d4f6f1078

mikeh

5 Year Member
The old 12% tube is Arcadia. I would purchase new Arcadia, not Exoterra.
Is this T8 or T5HO?

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
The old 12% tube is Arcadia. I would purchase new Arcadia, not Exoterra.
Is this T8 or T5HO?

sorry to sound dumb but whats the difference between arcadia and exoterra? the unit bit says t8 20w on it if that helps. i don't understand all these numbers and letters so all help is greatly appriciated

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england

mikeh

5 Year Member
Difference is in quality and amount of UVB output. The difference is substantial. Arcadia also lasts much longer, one year according to the manufacturer.
Yes, your bulb is Arcadia T8 3D+ 12% UVB and that is what I would recommend to continue to use.
Does your fixture have an aluminum reflector?

Last edited:

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
Difference is in quality and amount of UVB output. The difference is substantial. Arcadia also lasts much longer, one year according to the manufacturer.
Yes, your bulb is Arcadia T8 3D+ 12% UVB and that is what I would recommend to continue to use.
Does your fixture have an aluminum reflector?

that's a great help thanks. i'll get the same type and will order a reflector at the same time. would it be worth up grading to the 30inch 30w tube? i do think the enclosure could do with a bit more light.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Yes, I would upgrade to 36" T5HO 3D 6%. T5HO provides much better light and will make for much brighter enclosure. You will need a new fixture and ballast as yours will not work with T5HO. If you do go this route 6% is sufficient as 12% will be too strong for 13" distance. Check out Arcadia.com for fixtures and ballasts and difference between T8 and T5HO lights.

Even if you just upgrade with longer T8 you would still need new ballast unless it has different settings. If it does, going with just longer T8 and reflector would be more economical.

PS: I looked at your enclosure. The tube should be mounted on the ceiling as close to middle, not on the side wall. Light should be coming fully from above, not from the side. Mounted on the side is same as you looking directly into the sun all day long.

Last edited:

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
thanks for all your help. the tube is mounted on the ceiling about 2/3 from the front so i can easily move it forward a few inch. you can see the tube on this pic is on the underside of the top/shelf i figured that was the best place for it.
100_5532.JPG

mikeh

5 Year Member
Yes, bring it as much forward as you can.
If you are on a tight budget, keep the controller you have which is for 24" tube and just get new 12% T8 tube and Arcadia ALR18 reflector. The reflector will double the light output of the tube. The reflector will keep the glare to minimum as well.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i don't mind spending the cash if its better for him. think i found every thing i need :- Arcadia T5: Electronic Lighting Controller 24-39w, 34inch arcadia t5 tube d3+ uvb 6% uva 30% 39w and a t5 34inch reflector? have i missed any thing missed any thing? thanks again for all the help i think im starting to under stand it all a little better now. :D

mikeh

5 Year Member
Sounds like you have it all figured out. The controller gets quite warm, if you can place it somewhere under the enclosure it will slightly elevate substrate temperature, keeping things slightly warmer in that spot. Keep the substrate slightly damp in this vicinity. Leave an inch space between the controller and bottom of enclosure so the controller can can cool properly.

PS: D3 is 6% UVB, D3+ is 12%UVB

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
brilliant i'll get them ordered then. thanks for all your help much appreciated.

mikeh

5 Year Member
You are very welcome. Give us an update on how the new lighting works out.