Need some help please.

MillyT

Hello all

We have 2 Spur torts who are coming up to 4 years old (Derek and Dudley). We have had them from eggs.

Both had done really well up until the last hibernation.

They have been hibernated every year since hatching and have been fine. Kept in a tort table with the correct UV lamps and heat. Eating a wide variety of food and love roaming the garden on hot sunny days.

Current weight Dudley 319g Derek 149g (After hibernation they were similar weight)

The problem we have is with Derek. Shortly after hibernation he stopped using his hind legs.

The Vet started him off on an anti-biotics thinking it may well be MBD (which confused me as both torts have same life style).

Then after no improvement in May/June she did an X-ray which showed a lung infection and no MBD. He is on daily injections and as of today is on an anti inflammatory injection too.

He doesn't eat very much hence his weight has remained unchanged he baths every day and obviously doesn't really poop! He is very bright eyed and the infection seems to be clearing up (he doesn't gasp for air which he did when he visited the vet).

SO MY QUESTION:
I would love to hear your thoughts.......seeing poor Derek struggling to get about compared to his brother who happily rampages around the garden or conservatory/tort table....do you think it is fair to continue his treatment....will he ever get his leg movement back? 4 months of no use I'm starting to think not.

The dilemma is I don't want to give up on him if he has a chance but equally don't want him to have a poor quality of life :-(

Any comments would be very much appreciated....Thank you xxx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I am going through a similar experience with my Aldabran tortoises. In my case, the tortoise really does have a lack of calcium, or MBD. I've been offering supplemental calcium in the form of human tablets on a skewer of fruit, for about 4 years now. I'm just starting to see some improvement in the legs.

I think if you work with your tortoise, and offer calcium in a bite of something, like I do, you will see improvement sooner than that because of the size of the tortoise. They don't like the taste of calcium, so you have to insert it into something. Your tortoise is small, so you may have to break up a tablet, make a hole in something - a piece of zucchini, strawberry, etc - and insert the calcium into the food. The put it on a skewer and offer it to the tortoise. Reason for the skewer is it saves your fingers from being bitten.

Like you, I have two tortoises in the same yard receiving the same care, and yet only one of them suffers from MBD. At the beginning he also had a respiratory infection.

Remember, calcium needs the sun in order to convert the sun's UVB into vitamin D3. That's what makes the calcium work. Without the sun or a good UVB light, the calcium won't work.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

MillyT

Hi Yvonne

Thank you for your reply....what I am confused about is the X ray showed no MBD his bones are ok. The vets says the hind legs may have been affected by the lung problem?

They have the best UVB lamp we could get and go outside when sunny (and hot).....I'm at a loss as to why his legs are not improving.

Sounds like you are seeing some improvement....was your tort diagnosed with MBD?

Thanks again

Forgot to mention he has had a Calcium supplement (vet supplied too before she ruled out MBD) and you're right they hate the taste :)