Need tips for heated outdoor box

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
Hi! My 3-year-old Sulcata is deathly bored of being cooped up inside with his younger sibling. Its time to get him outside! We live in southern California.

He's already got a great, big, safe outdoor enclosure that he spends most of his days in, but the cooler weather in the morning and early evening started causing URI-type symptoms. So, I need to step up my game, and build a heated box of some sort for him to hide from the mild cold in. It would be nice to be able to leave my tort outside all night, but for now I'm mostly concerned about him just being able to be out during the day, with access to warmth if necessary when the temperature drops. (his indoor enclosure is still plenty big enough for him if I need to bring him in at night).

I'm living with my parents, who have generously donated a fraction of their yard to me until I move out in a few years. So whatever I build should be sturdy enough to last a while, big enough to accommodate him growing (he's just over 6" now): but perhaps somewhat portable so I can take it with me if I ever move out.
I have a small reptile heating pad ( the kind you stick underneath a glass tank), as well as a double, deep dome hanging lamp fixture. I'm hoping whatever I build can make use of these things.

Any tips and ideas would be really appreciated! I was thinking of buying a used doghouse on Craigslist.. And just putting the heating pad in there for now. I am a poor college student in debt, so I need to be frugal! Im willing to work hard though. Thanks in advance!!

bogart20

5 Year Member
A dog house will work for now deffinately run a heat source out there like a light in his house to contol the temp.
But he's gonna need a decent space when he's older :cool:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can us a heat light or a Che(ceramic heat emitter) put it on a thermostat so the temp can be controlled and not over heat. The under take heat isn't going to work for this. The dome fixture you have should hold the Che.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
Ok, I've got the tortoise house! It is a 60"x 40" wooden box that was originally built as a dog house. It's 28" high and the opening is 28" wide ( so it might be drafty....)
How can I install a thermostat? I'm a little confused about that... Do I buy the kind you'd use for a heating/cooling system? How do you connect it to the lamp?

bogart20

5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure that you really would t need to attach it to the lamp. just take temps of the hot spot of the room and side not heated and you can find a nice balance for you and your tort :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.