needing a permit

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
Well, being i have decided to take Bert on a trip of his lifetime, I have been looking into what i need to do. Seems as though I need to get a Permit for him in order to get across Cananda. Where does one get a permit for a tortoise? I have herd of many who own desert torts in cali. needing a permit. But how do i obtain one?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Are you moving? or just going on vacation?
if vacation.. find a pet sitter.. dont stress him out with the travel and risk
him being confiscated...
Laws vary everywhere..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is it a permit you need? or a health certificate? I know those laws apply to dogs and cats do they apply to reptiles?

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
sara said:
Well, being i have decided to take Bert on a trip of his lifetime, I have been looking into what i need to do. Seems as though I need to get a Permit for him in order to get across Cananda. Where does one get a permit for a tortoise? I have herd of many who own desert torts in cali. needing a permit. But how do i obtain one?

I am so pleased you decided to take Bert with u. I am in the UK so i do not no about the permits u will need but i am sure some that knows will be along, have u tried a google search?

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Tracy Gould said:
sara said:

I am so pleased you decided to take Bert with u. I am in the UK so i do not no about the permits u will need but i am sure some that knows will be along, have u tried a google search?
Got it figured out. He wont need a vet check either. I was a little concerned about that. I didnt want them pokeing him with any needles.
All its gonna cost me is $35.00. They are very helpful there in Canada.
His food will be interresting. They said as long as there are no roots on the veggies and they are packed in an air tight container that will be fine too.
After hearring so many give their advice, i decided to go for it. It seems as though the majority believe he will travel fine. I am haveing a special travel box built for him and everything. Its going to be a long trip and i will take every precaution. I will definately keep everyone informed all the way there.
I sure appreciate all the help and support from everyone.

dmmj said:
Is it a permit you need? or a health certificate? I know those laws apply to dogs and cats do they apply to reptiles?
apparently all you need is a permit. wich is good for Bert. He didnt want to go to the vet anyway.

Laura said:
Are you moving? or just going on vacation?
if vacation.. find a pet sitter.. dont stress him out with the travel and risk
him being confiscated...
Laws vary everywhere..
This will be a move. But if all works out we will be back in a couple years to someplace nice and warm and sunny. I was seriously thinking of giving him to a reptile rescue, but it was breaking my heart. I admit its being selfish. But Bert is more to me than I can explaine. He's my buddy.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Status
Not open for further replies.