Nelson lost weight, eek

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Nelson hasn't been eating much lately- I'm wondering if it's related to the time of year. I think I need to add another heat source to his enclosure ?
He is still extremely active. He is very restless and spends all day trying to climb up the corners of his enclosure.

I weighed him recently and he has lost weight since August :( Now he's underweight. He is barely eating his greens lately. The only thing I can get him to eat with gusto is pumpkin and butternut squash.

He is 2 1/2 now and he has eaten solely greens, leaves, flowers, weeds, pumpkin/squash, etc. since he was ~2 months old. No commercial diets.
Well I bit the bullet and ordered some Mazuri for him. It will be delivered today. I only plan on offering it to him once a week, but I'm hoping it will help him gain some weight and get his appetite back! He has literally NEVER turned down food up until about two weeks ago.

How many pellets of Mazuri do you offer? Obviously this is relative depending on the size of your tort! Nelson is 2 years old, nearly 4 1/2 inches.

I want to see this face again!
IMG_3067.jpg

mytwotortys

5 Year Member
Well, my two hermanns keep on going through patches where they won't eat, but in the end they eventually eat again. I think it's to do with the weather, that's what my local pet shop owner said anyway! Try swapping the old food halfway through the day, it might help as it looks more appetising!!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would give him maybe 4 pellets, softened, twice a week.

I don't think you need to worry about it too much, yet. There is the time of year to take into consideration. I would do some babyfood soaks in the meantime, until he gets his appetite back.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Just have to say....I LOVE Nelson. Looking at him always makes me want to get one. My two CH's have slowed down a lot too. They always do this in the beginning of the Winter. Then they pick up after a few weeks. Right now they are eating every three days or so. During this time I always add one or two pellets of mazuri to their chopped up greens and veggies....and also a sweet potato, which they both love.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
It's comforting to hear that Nelson isn't the only guy not eating as much!
I'm eager to see what he thinks of the Mazuri. Thank you for the suggestion Kristina! So 8 pellets a week??

Terry- How often do you usually give Mazuri to your torts? They are the picture of health so I would love to follow whatever you're doing! :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I offered him a softened Mazuri pellet today- first time ever! He sniffed it for quite a while but eventually just walked away. Come on Nelson!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
my russian hasnt touched mazuri.. i havent tried really hard, since he eats well enough.. sleeping now tho.
make sure your temps are up and lights are on 14 hours a day.
mix greens in with the squash.. chop it up?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I mixed some chopped turnip greens with pumpkin the other day. He marched on over and ate a few bites. Turnip greens aren't his favorite though, I'll have to pick up some of his favorite foods. :)
Is it spring yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.