Nematodes (Steinernema feltiae)

tinytortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
Has anyone used these to combat fungus gnats? Thoughts?

"Steinernema feltiae Beneficial Nematodes are live microscopic organisms (non-segmented round worms) that occur naturally in soil throughout the world. The beneficial nematodes we sell are parasitic to insect pests that typically have a developing (larval or pupal) stage of life in the soil. They have been known to parasitize above ground stages of adults, nymphs and larvae. They will not harm mammals, aquatic life, birds, reptiles or amphibians. After being applied to the soil, the nematodes locate pests and enter through various body openings or directly through the body wall. Once inside, the nematodes produce bacteria that is injected into the pest's blood."

"Best suited for mobile pests that include fungus gnats, ticks, thrips, leafminers, caterpillars, cutworms, sod webworms, onion maggots, subterranean termites and more. Best Choice for Indoor and Greenhouse Applications."

NemAttack™ - Sf Beneficial Nematodes

P

pguinpro

Sometimes I feel like being a tortoise keeper requires several degrees in various subjects lol; now etymology.

I'm curious if this is ok too, it says it is fine for reptile use. Sometimes torts eat the soil though when they're dragging their food through the dirt haha.

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Sometimes I feel like being a tortoise keeper requires several degrees in various subjects lol; now etymology.

I'm curious if this is ok too, it says it is fine for reptile use. Sometimes torts eat the soil though when they're dragging their food through the dirt haha.
From what I've read they're host-specific and will not harm mammals or reptiles. People on reptile forums document successfully eradicating pests from their Chameleon enclosure using beneficial nematodes, with lasting effect! I've read they will not harm earthworms, and likely pill bugs (crustacean) would be unharmed as well.

lyingcat8

Indianapolis
Hi all — did anyone ever try and succeed with this? I’ve used them in my houseplants and haven’t had any gnats in a long time. Starting to see them in my enclosure now and was thinking about using some in there.