Never comes out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, Ca
Rallo is not coming out on his own anymore. We've got him on the same schedule and all of his habitat is locked in I don't know what to do. He appears healthy and he will eat an walk around for a bit if I pull him out. I just want him to come out and make appearance at least but I never see him??? Any help?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Is he still young? Mine just turned a year and still hides all day. It's their nature to hide from predators. I think people expect their tortoises to come running up to them and be social. Some tortoises do, but I think they are more mature in age. They are not cats or dogs so it's just different. Give it some time and I'm sure he will be more social as he ages.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Winter weather ( even if indoors) , light hours ....also play a role in behavior, but as a reminder Rf's generally are a " low key" species hiding most of the day in a warm , dark , humid place....while coming out in the early mornings and evenings to scavenge for food.

JD~:)

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, Ca
That's what I figured. I think he's probly like 1.5- 2 yrs. I have a 8 month old and he runs out everyday he even comes out to my voice so just hoping he stays that way as he gets older and Rallo will end up the same way hopefully!

Plowmandust77

10 Year Member!
Griffith Indiana
What do you feed the tort? Ever since I started feeding hibiscus flowers/leaves to my torts they have become possessed. My (2) 9 month old hatchlings can't sit still, let alone sleep during the day!

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, Ca
I feed them lots of greens and mushrooms with strawberries and diff trop fruits like 1 or 2 times a week. He has been coming out more, Mostly at later times in the day. My baby is out at feeding time almost daily and very people friendly do you think he will become more introverted or that my older guy will become more social?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if its too bright, he may not like that.. try less light or giving more hides,, like plants or even fake plants, more Jungle like.. see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.