New 8ftx4ftx2ft ant resistant enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
Not sure if you mentioned it, but what wood did you use? I live in Alabama so humidity is the worst thing for wood that is not meant to handle it.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
It's pine, but trust me i'm waterproofing the entire thing. And in san angelo there is never humidity.......ever.....

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
OH No, now I am worried. No ants so far but I have not had my torts long enough to plan for them. :(

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Just make sure that you bring them in anytime it plans to rain and wait a couple days after. The little fireants spread like wildfire after a small shower.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
So for the past few months i've been trying to pain this enclosure and every time i go to paint it rains..........smh.....:( I'm going to get it done this month even if i have to pull it inside to paint it :p

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
We have a species of fire ants in the Amazon. Total nightmare! Remembering stuff like that makes me grateful for our crisp -40°C winter days.[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Zookk

5 Year Member
Grunthal, MB
Jabuticaba said:
We have a species of fire ants in the Amazon. Total nightmare! Remembering stuff like that makes me grateful for our crisp -40°C winter days.[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Crisp is the word for it, I never thought that -40 was that cold. Granted I was born and raised in Winnipeg. Dealing with those temps every year for the 30 I've lived. Played Hockey outside in -25 to -30 every winter until I was 15.

On Topic: Love the look of the enclosure, it's pretty much the size of what I want to build for the russian that I'm going to pick up shortly. Well build in the spring. Also, fire ants are just crazy. The girlfriend is from texas and I just sat through a couple horror stories about her dealing with them growing up.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
We in Oregon don't worry about fire ants. We have carpenter ants. They don't attack, they destroy wooden structures. They remove the soft wood between the hard wood veins, rendering the wood structurally un sound. When a colony has moved into an 6"x6", you can literally break the beam across your leg. Makes you look tough but you burn down the infested building to get rid of them.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Are you still in Winterpeg? If so, do you have an outdoor enclosure for your torts, during the summer?

Zookk said:
Crisp is the word for it, I never thought that -40 was that cold. Granted I was born and raised in Winnipeg. Dealing with those temps every year for the 30 I've lived. Played Hockey outside in -25 to -30 every winter until I was 15.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Get a canister of grits (NOT "instant", though) and make a perimeter around the enclosure and pour about a cup on every mound you see...kills the little b******ds fast.

Treat every mound you can find, religeously.

images

Earth- and tortoise-friendly solution. :cool:

Since being turned onto this "green" method of dealing with 'em, our property is fire ant free, and it costs less than $75 a year for 216 acres.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Haha yeah it does kill them fast, almost done with the project. Right now i have so many things going on, summer college class...stud fee's with bull terrier, finishing 120gal turtle aquarium, finishing tortoise enclosure, and getting everything ready for NARBC next weekend. Crazy how busy life can be at times....just wait till I have kids they say :) lets just soak in the good years now

Status
Not open for further replies.