new and need info pleeeeeeease (no poo?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchkin2983

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
st helens
Hi I have a horse field tortoise and wanted some information please my partner bought me Austin for my 30th I've had him a week. He bought him in a viv but I am in the process of getting him a table made.
The thing is I haven't seen him poo.
I bath him and put baby oil on his shell and feet which he seems to enjoy lol.
he is eating and I am growing my own weeds for him.
can anyone just give me some pointers please/

Thanks in advance. xxxxx
please meet Austin below.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    666 KB · Views: 103

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
RE: new and need info pleeeeeeease

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new tortoise. He looks young in the pic. Do you know how old he is?

Have you seen him eat much in the week that you've had him? Some torts get stressed when they move to a new home and stop eating for a few days. If he's not eating much then that would explain why he's not pooping. Young torts will also eat their own poop on occasion, so this may be happening.

Another possibility is that he could be constipated or have a compaction in his digestive tract. Soaking him daily should help loosen this up and get his digestive system moving.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
new and need info pleeeeeeease

Welcome to the forum!
Your partner did good, overall, Austin looks healthy. On with the help.
Understand that some of this may seem critical, but my motivation is for the health of Austin. There is little reason Austin won't out live you, so he is truly a lifetime companion. Those pellets you are using as a substrate need to go. These pellets mold when wet, and hard to burrow into. Russian tortoises love to burrow. I would replace it with organic top soil mixed with coconut coir, or peat moss. Mix this 50/50 and moisten with enough water that it clumps when you squeeze it yet no water drips out. This is based of a daytime low of 85-90f and a nighttime low of 75-80f.
Here on the forum, we love pictures. What are the temps and how are you measuring it?

munchkin2983

5 Year Member
st helens

Cowboy_Ken said:
Welcome to the forum!
Your partner did good, overall, Austin looks healthy. On with the help.
Understand that some of this may seem critical, but my motivation is for the health of Austin. There is little reason Austin won't out live you, so he is truly a lifetime companion. Those pellets you are using as a substrate need to go. These pellets mold when wet, and hard to burrow into. Russian tortoises love to burrow. I would replace it with organic top soil mixed with coconut coir, or peat moss. Mix this 50/50 and moisten with enough water that it clumps when you squeeze it yet no water drips out. This is based of a daytime low of 85-90f and a nighttime low of 75-80f.
Here on the forum, we love pictures. What are the temps and how are you measuring it?

Thank you for replying.
I will change the pellets when I finish work. the pet shop advised them but I said to my partner they arnt good.
during the day it is about 90f and when I wake up and turn on his light to wake him its around 70-74.
He is eating he eats everything I put in.
I soaked him this morning so ill start doing that everyday see if it help.
xxx thanks so much x

munchkin2983

5 Year Member
st helens

mctlong said:
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new tortoise. He looks young in the pic. Do you know how old he is?

Have you seen him eat much in the week that you've had him? Some torts get stressed when they move to a new home and stop eating for a few days. If he's not eating much then that would explain why he's not pooping. Young torts will also eat their own poop on occasion, so this may be happening.

Another possibility is that he could be constipated or have a compaction in his digestive tract. Soaking him daily should help loosen this up and get his digestive system moving.

Thank you for your help.
He has ate everyday since getting him he pooed the first day but not since maybe he has ate it.
I am not sure how old around 1 and half maybe.
ill soak him everyday see if it helps.
Thanks you xxxxxxxx

munchkin2983

5 Year Member
st helens

am I replying correctly because I cant see my replies. :-(

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado

munchkin2983 said:
Hi I have a horse field tortoise and wanted some information please my partner bought me Austin for my 30th I've had him a week. He bought him in a viv but I am in the process of getting him a table made.

Thanks in advance. xxxxx

Cute little guy!

I agree with Ken's advice to switch out the substrate. Alfalfa pellets are not a good substrate for the reasons Ken mentioned, and they also do not promote a humid microclimate. Russians are native to the grasslands and deserts of Central Asia, so they're fine with dry air, but they still need a moist (but not soggy) substrate to burrow into.

I use pure coconut coir. You could also use soil, sphagnum (peat) moss, or a mixture. Others use cypress mulch for their tortoise, but I don't recommend it for Russians, because Russians like to dig. The reason I use pure coco coir is that it is very soil-like without actually being soil. In other words, it retains moisture and allows the tortoise to dig in it, but it does not support the growth of fungi or the insects that feed on fungi.

As to why is your tortoise is constipated, one reason could be that he is dehydrated (we get constipated when we're dehydrated, too; it's one of the little tricks your body uses to try to retain as much water as possible). Switching the substrate will help with this. The bathing you're already doing is good, too. Healthy adult Russians only need to be bathed once a week, but if they're young (and it looks like yours is), then you can bathe them more often than that. I would discourage the use of baby oil on a tortoise, though. Others have used Tetra brand VitaShell, a kind of lotion for a tortoise's shell, but again, I think this is unnecessary, and possibly harmful because it might clog pores. Getting moisture levels right is what matters.

Another trick to hydrating him is rinsing the plants he eats in water before offering them to him. That way, in addition to eating the moisture within the plant, he also gets the water clinging to the outside of the plant.

You can also offer him quality commercial foods like Mazuri Tortoise Diet or ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food. The instructions say they can be fed dry, but I disagree. Again, soak these in water for a few minutes (Grassland soaks up water faster than Mazuri). That way, your tortoise will be ingesting more moisture along with his food.

Make sure he's eating enough. Good rule of thumb: feed them a pile of food about as big as they are, or what they can eat in about 20 minutes. If you offer them food more than once per day, then divide accordingly.

Another point is to make sure that your guy is actually able to digest his food. You could feed him all day, but if he doesn't have a hot enough basking spot, he will be unable to digest properly. Russians need ambient temperatures in the 70s - 80s during the day (preferably 60s at night), and a daytime hot spot of 90-100*F, with 95*F probably being ideal.

munchkin2983

5 Year Member
st helens

GeoTerraTestudo said:
munchkin2983 said:

Thanks in advance. xxxxx

Cute little guy!

I agree with Ken's advice to switch out the substrate. Alfalfa pellets are not a good substrate for the reasons Ken mentioned, and they also do not promote a humid microclimate. Russians are native to the grasslands and deserts of Central Asia, so they're fine with dry air, but they still need a moist (but not soggy) substrate to burrow into.

I use pure coconut coir. You could also use soil, sphagnum (peat) moss, or a mixture. Others use cypress mulch for their tortoise, but I don't recommend it for Russians, because Russians like to dig. The reason I use pure coco coir is that it is very soil-like without actually being soil. In other words, it retains moisture and allows the tortoise to dig in it, but it does not support the growth of fungi or the insects that feed on fungi.

As to why is your tortoise is constipated, one reason could be that he is dehydrated (we get constipated when we're dehydrated, too; it's one of the little tricks your body uses to try to retain as much water as possible). Switching the substrate will help with this. The bathing you're already doing is good, too. Healthy adult Russians only need to be bathed once a week, but if they're young (and it looks like yours is), then you can bathe them more often than that. I would discourage the use of baby oil or other oils on a tortoise, though.

Another trick to hydrating him is rinsing the plants he eats in water before offering them to him. That way, in addition to eating the moisture within the plant, he also gets the water clinging to the outside of the plant.

You can also offer him quality commercial foods like Mazuri Tortoise Diet or ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food. The instructions say they can be fed dry, but I disagree. Again, soak these in water for a few minutes (Grassland soaks up water faster than Mazuri). That way, your tortoise will be ingesting more moisture along with his food.

Make sure he's eating enough. Good rule of thumb: feed them a pile of food about as big as they are, or what they can eat in about 20 minutes. If you offer them food more than once per day, then divide accordingly.

Another point is to make sure that your guy is actually able to digest his food. You could feed him all day, but if he doesn't have a hot enough basking spot, he will be unable to digest properly. Russians need ambient temperatures in the 70s - 80s during the day (preferably 60s at night), and a daytime hot spot of 90-100*F, with 95*F probably being ideal.

Thank you .
How do I check the temp of the basking light?
will I get pure coco coir from the garden centre or b and q they are the only places I have to get something to change his bedding to night after work?
thanks xxxxxxx

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal

munchkin2983 said:

You are. The first five posts of all new users are reviewed and approved by moderators before they're published. You're post #6 now, so there should be no more delays from here on out. :)

munchkin2983

5 Year Member
st helens

mctlong said:
munchkin2983 said:

You are. The first five posts of all new users are reviewed and approved by moderators before they're published. You're post #6 now, so there should be no more delays from here on out. :)

Thank you I feel silly now lol.
xx

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona

Digital thermometers work great. To fine tune everything, I have a none contact laser temp gun from eBay.

munchkin2983

5 Year Member
st helens

Cowboy_Ken said:
Digital thermometers work great. To fine tune everything, I have a none contact laser temp gun from eBay.

Thank you ill buy one now.
x so much to know isn't there xxxx

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado

munchkin2983 said:
Thank you .
will I get pure coco coir from the garden centre or b and q they are the only places I have to get something to change his bedding to night after work?
thanks xxxxxxx

You can use dial thermometers, alcohol (tube) thermometers, digital thermometers, or temperature "guns" from the hardware store, which just measure infrared from the surface you point them at. All good keepers of aquarium animals and of reptiles must have thermometers to monitor temperature.

munchkin2983 said:
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garde...ouseplant-Compost-12L-10288066?skuId=10718772

can I use that if I mix with some water?
xxxxxx
Thank you for all your help your very kind.
x

I would not use compost, because the carbon in it has not yet matured enough to be true soil. I would also not use modern gardening soils, because they contain the minerals perlite or vermiculte, which give reptiles potentially lethal gut impaction (blockage) when they eat them. If you're going to use soil, get top soil or potting soil, because those are just pure soils with no perlite or vermiculite in them.

But again, I prefer pure coco coir for my Russians. This comes in compressed "bricks" that you just add water to (instructions on package). You can get this at pet stores, but you can buy more of it for cheaper at gardening stores. :)

munchkin2983

5 Year Member
st helens

GeoTerraTestudo said:
munchkin2983 said:
Thank you .
thanks xxxxxxx

You can use dial thermometers, alcohol (tube) thermometers, digital thermometers, or temperature "guns" from the hardware store, which just measure infrared from the surface you point them at. All good keepers of aquarium animals and of reptiles must have thermometers to monitor temperature.

munchkin2983 said:
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garde...ouseplant-Compost-12L-10288066?skuId=10718772

can I use that if I mix with some water?
xxxxxx
Thank you for all your help your very kind.
x

I would not use compost, because the carbon in it has not yet matured enough to be true soil. I would also not use modern gardening soils, because they contain the minerals perlite or vermiculte, which give reptiles potentially lethal gut impaction (blockage) when they eat them. If you're going to use soil, get top soil or potting soil, because those are just pure soils with no perlite or vermiculite in them.

But again, I prefer pure coco coir for my Russians. This comes in compressed "bricks" that you just add water to (instructions on package). You can get this at pet stores, but you can buy more of it for cheaper at gardening stores. :)

brilliant ill go garden centre and try and buy they pure coco coir thank you will update later tonight what I manage to get xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona

Munchkin, have you located the Russian tortoise sub-forum on this site?
Specie specific/Mediterranean/Russian

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA

He sure is cute and looks very healthy! I have Russian tortoises and I love them.

I would not put baby oil on his shell or body as I do not know exactly what is in it. I use VitaShell (made by Tetrafauna) or mineral oil on my tortoises shells once in a while.

In my newest little Russian's enclosure (he/she is around 5 months old) I have half of the enclosure substrate as moistened coconut coir and the other half I use aspen snake bedding. I have the coconut coir on the side where his basking area is. The aspen snake bedding side is on his cool side. I also have a hide on each side for him. In the middle I have an artifical plant for him to hide under. I made a barrier to separate the two substrates (as aspen should not get wet as it will mold) with a row of rocks to keep each substrate on its own side. I also put a couple of other rocks throughout the enclosure for him to climb over to get exercise. I also soak him every day before I give him his food.

Enjoy your little one.

munchkin2983

5 Year Member
st helens

I want 5 diffeent garden centres and teo per shops finally i got some Top soil sand and limestone grit from pets at home x all set up and Austin looks like he enjoys it alot better thanks everyone I'm on my phone so I'll pop a picture up tomorrow xxxxx

Carol S said:
He sure is cute and looks very healthy! I have Russian tortoises and I love them.

I would not put baby oil on his shell or body as I do not know exactly what is in it. I use VitaShell (made by Tetrafauna) or mineral oil on my tortoises shells once in a while.

In my newest little Russian's enclosure (he/she is around 5 months old) I have half of the enclosure substrate as moistened coconut coir and the other half I use aspen snake bedding. I have the coconut coir on the side where his basking area is. The aspen snake bedding side is on his cool side. I also have a hide on each side for him. In the middle I have an artifical plant for him to hide under. I made a barrier to separate the two substrates (as aspen should not get wet as it will mold) with a row of rocks to keep each substrate on its own side. I also put a couple of other rocks throughout the enclosure for him to climb over to get exercise. I also soak him every day before I give him his food.

Enjoy your little one.

Thanks Hun I'll buy some of that instead of the baby oil the pet shop my partner got Austin from isn't good wrong bedding wrong advice :-( X xxxxxxx

Cowboy_Ken said:
Munchkin, have you located the Russian tortoise sub-forum on this site?
Specie specific/Mediterranean/Russian

No Hiw do I find it sorry I'm new to this forum xxxx

Austin is eating The line stone grit is that normal? Xxx

munchkin2983

5 Year Member
st helens
Status
Not open for further replies.