New and Tortoise not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
HI, I live in Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada. I had had adult redfoots in the past before but never a baby. I now have a cherry head redfoot and she is very young. I'm not sure on her age but she can sit in the palm of my hand. She seems to be a fussy eater and hasn't eaten much in the past couple of days. She had been eating romaine, spring mix, dandelion leaves and also blueberries, and grapes. Also, how much is a baby supposed to eat a day? Now she is not interested in anything. Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks,

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How long have you had the baby? It can take sometimes a couple of weeks to a couple of months for a tort to settle in....since you have a baby I would keep an eye on her to make sure that she is at least eating some and if all of your temps are correct...(what temps do you run in your enclosure?) ...then the baby should come around--the babies are much much much, did I say, much more sensitive at the start...:D

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
ascott gave some good advice. Wecome to the form btw! :tort: I have a baby cherry head and she was shy at first and did not eat as much. She's used to her environment now and is an eating machine! Give it time, love, and the right environment and you'll be fine :D

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
Thanks very much for the advice :) She is eating better now and I think I was expecting her to eat more than she needed, as well as finding things she liked. She loves dandelions, cantelope, plums, endive, so it is going better the last couple of days. I found out she is 3-4 months old, I wasn't sure on her age before today.

I was told today that the type of lighting I was using is wrong, as it is a coil light, also I don't have a setup for strip lights so am going from there to find what will work..

shelloise said:
HI Laura, yes she has the right lights and temperatures. I have a thermometer in her habitat

Laura said:
is she warm enough? or the lights too bright?

Status
Not open for further replies.