• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

new aquarium

carloz209

Location (City and/or State)
modesto
So can anyone help me find some articles for setting up a new aquarium for my red ear sliders. I am in the process of acquiring a 200 gallon aquarium which i intend on setting up for my 2 RES. Any info would help but most importantly on the filtration system for such a big aquarium is what i am most interested in learning about.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Best for a 200g would be a custom sump filter. King of diy (joey) just made a video about this I believe(tutorial).

carloz209

modesto
yup i was considering a diy filter i actually saw a couple of videos the last two days about those.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
Ga
I would run 2 canister filters. With one intake and outflow at each end. Or one large one.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
yup i was considering a diy filter i actually saw a couple of videos the last two days about those.
It would be cheaper to do a DIY filter for that size. 200gallons I would def go sump filter and with the amount of waste RES have the bigger sump will handle the load and easier to clean than canisters. IMO. Sounds like a great project. Wish I had room for a 200 Aq Use to have a 220gal wish I still had the room.

Kyle