New arrival needs a name!

LeiiMaa

Location (City and/or State)
England, UK
Meet my newest arrival :). Currently being called "TBC" (Too be confirmed), she is around a year old so I'm told and weighs 180 grams. I've never kept red foots before so any pointers or general hints and tips wouldn't go a miss, oh and any name suggestions would be also appreciated!

A quick question, the "bulges" around her neck ... are these normal? My leopards don't have these, although they are a little younger and smaller. I've gathered from another post I started in the diet section that she's been fed too much protein, a pinky mouse every 4 days!

Attachments

• 1420057395837.jpg
    1420057395837.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 1420057411525.jpg
    1420057411525.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 65

LeiiMaa

England, UK
Oh and I had just woken her from her nap, she was still groggy when I took these photos! :)

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Your thinking is correct. He/she only needs protein once every couple of weeks. I think those globs around the neck are fat from overfeeding. The weight seems pretty heavy for the size of the tort. I'm no expert though so maybe @mike taylor or @tortdad can shine some light on the subject.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Congratulations!!!!!! Redfoots rule!!! My smallest redfoot has those bulges around the neck too. My redfoot eats a lot!! I think that's one part of the issue :) In my opinion that's a lot of protein! That explains the bulges :)

Turtlepete

South Florida
Excess of protein in the form of pinky mice (which are known to be fattening in snakes) is hopefully the cause of the bulges around the neck. Swelling around the neck could be an indication of a serious issue, but if the tortoise is acting fine other ways, eating and active, then that's obviously unlikely. Keep a close eye though.
Enjoy your new tort! A couple that I just sold an RF to a couple days ago named it Ripcurl…..Haha ;).

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My tortoise has the same "bulges", I believe it's fine. Please correct me if otherwise. The shell is nice and smooth, looks great!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't feed mice to my reds at all . Worms and bugs are good . Try feeding plant protein like mushrooms . You can feed chicken also . But if you feed mazuri it has the protein pretty much covered . Check out tortoise library it's a great informative site .

LeiiMaa

England, UK
I don't plan on continuing the diet she was on, as the rest of it, alongside the pinkies, isn't brilliant! She's been a little shy but tonight has been much more active. She likes playing hide and seek under her soil and whenever I look in she's in a different place! I've had a good look on tortoise library, it's massively helpful! Unfortunately for me, mazuri is pretty much impossible for me to get hold of :(. (I'm in England!), nutrazu is the closest equivalent I can get. I haven't tried her on it yet, my two leopards won't entertain it so I'm not holding out much hope unfortunately!

LeiiMaa

England, UK
So a quick update on little DG! She went on a hunger strike for days, hid away and refused to come out. Weeks later and you'd think she was a different tortoise. She's so active, her fatty lumps have almost disappeared. We're still having a few arguments with each other regarding diet. I didn't realise it'd be so hard to wean her off pinkies and cucumber. However she wolf's down her hard boiled eggs when she's offered them. Here she is last night going crazy for some strawberries! It's to my understanding that she never really had any fruit before I got her. Small steps but I'm so happy with her right now!

Attachments

• 1421837925853.jpg
    1421837925853.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 16

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
So a quick update on little DG! She went on a hunger strike for days, hid away and refused to come out. Weeks later and you'd think she was a different tortoise. She's so active, her fatty lumps have almost disappeared. We're still having a few arguments with each other regarding diet. I didn't realise it'd be so hard to wean her off pinkies and cucumber. However she wolf's down her hard boiled eggs when she's offered them. Here she is last night going crazy for some strawberries! It's to my understanding that she never really had any fruit before I got her. Small steps but I'm so happy with her right now!

They can be stubborn to change but it sounds like you're on the right path. I provide protein once every week or two and fruit once-twice/week. Mine love mushrooms, like Mike has said, but the bulk of their diet is greens.

Great looking tortoise, keep up the good work!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I gave my tortoise shrimp the other day and she LOVES them. She even licked the plate!

I feed protein once a month but also include some Mazuri with her greens once a week. With fruit I feed her every 5 days.

My little Charlotte also goes crazy for mushrooms, she usually picks them out first out of everything on her plate.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
I don't plan on continuing the diet she was on, as the rest of it, alongside the pinkies, isn't brilliant! She's been a little shy but tonight has been much more active. She likes playing hide and seek under her soil and whenever I look in she's in a different place! I've had a good look on tortoise library, it's massively helpful! Unfortunately for me, mazuri is pretty much impossible for me to get hold of :(. (I'm in England!), nutrazu is the closest equivalent I can get. I haven't tried her on it yet, my two leopards won't entertain it so I'm not holding out much hope unfortunately!

nutrazu is mazuri its just sold under a different name here in the uk. theres a member on here that sells it threw ebay but i can't remember who it was sorry.