New baby tomorrow

Lisanne Allen

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
We recently lost a baby hermann after just 2 months of loving him! We have made a few changes to our set up to provide the best chance at success for a little guy we are hopefully bringing home tomorrow. I am attaching a picture of our previous enclosure ( and one of our little cutie who didn’t make it ) and a list of changes we made and I am looking for some more guidance! You are all a amazing and I got a ton of good info in my feed when our little guy was declining.
1 We added an acrylic lid that covers 80% of the open section, still allowing the basking spot light
2 We added a uvb fluorescent bulb (in a fish tank fixture) directly to the edge of the enclosure.
3 I added a small terra cotta plant base and plan to keep a very small amount of water for him to have all the time.
4 In the dark box side of the enclosure I added a plastic container turned upside down with the side cut off to make the ‘dark side’ smaller and filled it with moss to help make a humid hide.
5 I tossed our tortoise flakes and purchased mazuri instead. I also plan to order seed and plant multiple weeds in planter boxes and will allow him to graze but here in Indiana the weather has turned and I will have to rely on organic greens from the grocery until then. He will have a cuttle bone available all the time. Should I dust as well?
6 what on earth do I do about the substrate???? there is so much conflicting information. Right now he has mostly top soil with some moss mixed in and added moss on top. I pray the enclosure down several times a day to keep it all nice and moist but I don’t know if that’s good enough or if I should go a different way.
7 should I discard all rocks and stuff in case he was sick? Or Can I just wash and keep for the next little guy?
8 would it be beneficial to put his enclosure under a well insulated window to allow him to get regular real sunlight if possible. It wouldn’t replace any of the lights or heat, the sunlight would be in addition. I don’t know if sunlight through a window is beneficial enough to add to move him.

Attachments

• AE80706B-0D7D-4868-A311-56746725BC5B.jpeg
    AE80706B-0D7D-4868-A311-56746725BC5B.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 71
  • CD88C4C5-7C34-4D3A-B2A6-9C21E36DDC19.jpeg
    CD88C4C5-7C34-4D3A-B2A6-9C21E36DDC19.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Bambam1989

East Texas
Let me see if I can help any..
1. Lids are good for helping to hold the heat and humidity in. Do you have a couple of digital thermometer/ humidity gauges? Put one by your basking lamp and one in the farthest corner. If you can't get your humidity and temps to maintain properly you can fill in gaps on the lid with aluminum foil.
Something like this?
IMG_20171105_112919064.jpg
2. Good. As long as it is at the recommended distance from the substrate that the manufacturer suggests.
3. Good. Most of these saucers are not deep enough to pose a drowning risk.
4.this sounds right to me. With out seeing the exact setup it's hard to be sure.
5. If he has cuttle bone then there is no need to dust with extra calcium. A multi vitamin powder may be used but I would check with someone who is more familiar with the breed.
6. I use Coco coir for my hatchling. Some use orchid bark. The goal is to keep your soil moist all the way through. Remove all the ornaments from the enclosure and pour water directly into the substrate. Use your hands to mix it then pack it smooth and redecorate. Misting only wets the surface.
7. If you like the rocks just wash them or even boil them if they are real rocks.
8. The window filters the light and so there is no benefits from moving it closer.

Hope I was helpful. Here are some links that might be useful.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/index.php#.Wf9sxlCIbqA
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Bee62

Germany
Hi,

for a small tortoise I would crush the cuttle bone in really small pieces so he can eat them easier. You can also give him egg shells, cooked and crushed. Little pieces are easier for a small tort mouth to eat.

A flat terracotta flower coaster is a good water dish for baby tortoises. My little torts have such a flower coaster too and soak every morning in the fresh warm water.
The first time after I got them I put them every morning in the water. Now it is their daily routine to soak every morning. When I am too late they sit in the empty water dish, waiting for their water to bath. That`s cute and healthy for them too.

Lisanne Allen

Indiana
Update: little man is doing great from what i can tell. Eating very well, daily, exploring his table and finding reprieve in his hiding spots. This baby totally burrows himself into the soil. Literally 100% covered, had to move dirt around to find him, in the dark section of his table. Is this normal? It’s only at night and he seems to be going i to the dark side for the night about the same time every night, right about 7 and by 11 he is totally covered

Bee62

Germany
Update: little man is doing great from what i can tell. Eating very well, daily, exploring his table and finding reprieve in his hiding spots. This baby totally burrows himself into the soil. Literally 100% covered, had to move dirt around to find him, in the dark section of his table. Is this normal? It’s only at night and he seems to be going i to the dark side for the night about the same time every night, right about 7 and by 11 he is totally covered
To dig themself totally into the soil is completely normal for this species. No reason to worry.:)
Congrats for your new baby abd much luck with him.:)

Lisanne Allen

Indiana
I wanted to update you all and let you know our baby is doing wonderfully!!! He is a happy little camper

Attachments

• 66A4F54B-72E1-4F37-8A4B-3671A465362B.jpeg
    66A4F54B-72E1-4F37-8A4B-3671A465362B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32