New box...new owner...poor skin....need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
The past owner stated she was inside all the time. When i picked her up she looked more moist. Has she been over soaked? under soaked?

and the tiny hole is old. Will it stay this way or repair itself? He tail was also nipped. it seems many years ago she met a dog who wasnt gentle.

I noticed on of these new girls (10 years old) shell top has a bit of a peel. Its almost like she has a clear coat and its coming off. Not bad at all.

I have access to great turtle care at the turtle rescue here in sac but i wanted to check with you guys first.
old damage.jpg
sylvia left.jpg
sylvia right.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Maggie Cummings

The hole is what it is and it will not fill in. The skin is doing a natural shedding thing. It looks to me like they are being kept outside, they are bright eyed and very aware and interested in their surroundings.They look fine to me and I think they don't have anything wrong at this stage...is that what you wanted to know?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Yes. Thank you.

I have them outside and it is there first time to live 24 7 out side. I was worried about the skin that it was to dry or to moist. You know how the internet is. You start with a small headache and the internet has you diagnoise with cancer and your in a frenzy, when all you need is excedrin.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your new little box turtle is bright-eyed and healthy looking except for a slightly over grown beak. This should wear itself down just by feeding her on a rough piece of cement or stone.

Most of the wild caught box turtles come with those holes on their carapace. They usually have two...one on each side. It hasn't yet been determined if they're made by the way the turtle has been captured or if its a natural phenomenon seen in wild turtles. However it happens, it is VERY common, and has no ill effect on the turtle.

Yvonne

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
emysemys said:
Your new little box turtle is bright-eyed and healthy looking except for a slightly over grown beak. This should wear itself down just by feeding her on a rough piece of cement or stone.

Most of the wild caught box turtles come with those holes on their carapace. They usually have two...one on each side. It hasn't yet been determined if they're made by the way the turtle has been captured or if its a natural phenomenon seen in wild turtles. However it happens, it is VERY common, and has no ill effect on the turtle.

Yvonne

I have been working on trimming the beak. it was quite a bit more over grown. I am hoping that feeding her on a newflat stone i have will help. I also have a large calcium stone she can eat off of. Since she is new to my home i havent wanted to stress her yet with that. Her past owner worked on trimming her before i took her. It seemed a little hardcore ruff and I want to check into other ways. thx

Status
Not open for further replies.