New but Dedicated Turtle Owner: Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirstenJ

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

While researching facts on sulcata tortoises and eastern box turtles, I noticed how often this forum came up in my search for answers. This place seems to have such an active and helpful community, so I've decided to join. I look forward to learning more about my turtles with you guys.

On July 6th, I adopted two eastern box turtles: one male and one female. They are at least 9 years old, and their previous owners had fed them dog food for most of its lives. Although I have been taking care of dogs since I was little, I hope I can bring these two back to good health despite my inexperienced care with reptiles.

I reside in the San Francisco (South) Bay Area, and just graduated from college.

2013-07-07225829.jpg

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kirsten!

First item on the "getting them back to health" agenda should be trimming their beaks. They are pretty overgrown.

Also, I think they're Terrapene carolina triunguis (3-toe), not easterns.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Welcome and glad you are taking over the care of these two turtles. Someone did not know what they were doing and it is so sad that it is always the animals that are hurt by this ignorance. I also believe they are 3-toes and indeed their beaks need trimming. Start by feeding them on a flat rough surface and get a cuttle bone or two for them to chew on. Both of those will help to begin getting their beaks in shape. You may need to find a good reptile vet and have those beaks professionally trimmed. Good luck and thanks for what you are doing!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Welcome! Ditto the above about getting the beaks trimmed professionally, poor things. Have them check the toenails too.
Good for you to take them on and help them to a better life.
They might like some outside time in the sun if you can manage it.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Welcome!! Your box turtles are adorable! They are lucky they have you!!

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello and Welcome to TFO!! :) glad that they're in your care now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.