New CDT owner on here:)

momof6brats

Hi, my name is Susan and I live in Upland, Calif. I am mom to 1 adult male CDT "Nikky" that we have had for 15 years. He has always lived fulltime in our backyard with no problems. He hibernates every Nov-March. He does have a chronic respiratory infection, but only shows symptoms when stressed. (Not very often). He had a mate, but she passed away after a dog attack:( .I also have 1- 1 year old baby and 2 1-month old babies. Peter is the 1 yr old and seems healthy (eats like a pig, etc) the babies "Lady &Bug" are together for now, but I have noticed that bug is kind of aggressive (?) . He literally jumps at your finger when you put it near him! He is more active than lady, but she's active also.i had the 3 youngsters together for a few days just until I got a set up for the new kids, but Peter kept stepping on them. Has anyone else had a baby do the weird jumping thing? That is new to me. I thing will eventually have to split the kids up, which is fine, and don't think Nikky will ever be around any of the kids since he has the CRI. We got him full grown, no idea of his age..He had at least 3 homes before ours:/ thanks, glad to find this turtle friendly place:)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Welcome Susan! We love Gopherus GoGo Girls like us! I wonder if it is a bullying kind of thing? Experts will chime in soon but that was my first thought. I know some of the experts have advised us with other species (I have leopards) that it is best to have just one, or go with three. Two seems to be an icky number as far as bullying and the stress from it all. Glad you found the TFO. Best forum ever for a tortoise keeper/host. Lots to read and learn from and ask away because there are always lovely people willing to help. Yay! : )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). That's got to be a funny sight, a tortoise jumping.:D. Little tort, big attitude it sounds like.:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Susan. Yes, that jump reflex is a bluff to tell a predator that he's not to be fooled with.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
RE: New CDT owner on he)

Yvonne G said:
Welcome to the Forum, Susan. Yes, that jump reflex is a bluff to tell a predator that he's not to be fooled with.

I knew you would know Yvonne. Really? How cute and bad a---, hmmm, butt is that. Susan, you need to video it and share! Fun. Funny! : )

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I though you meant 1- 1 year old as in one 1 year old CHILD. then I read the rest like OMG

momof6brats

Do you think the 2 babies are okay together for now?

Also, how do I post photos or video?? I am not the most tech savvy;)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I am wondering if you should put Peter back in with the two. Did the jumpy thing start after you took Peter out from being with Lady and Bug? Maybe a larger habitat or more sight barriers so they are not in each other's faces or walking on each other. That might help. Do you have them in a bin? Like one of those Christmas tree storage bins maybe?

momof6brats

When I picked up the 2 babies from the breeder (a customer to the Petsmart I work at) she said he had always done it, that's why she thought he was a boy (?) I have Peter in a long low reptile terrarium and the babies in a smaller one.After reading all the info on here, I am distressed to learn what I thought was good parenting is not:( I am going to go get a big plastic bin enclosure and change their bedding. I'm surprised everyone's done as well as they have considering I've kind of blown it. Also, what about houses for them ?every time we try the nice half logs or reptile houses, they end up flipping themselves over, which freaks me out so I end up taking them out.Advice?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
No worries. You are here now. Everyone learns here which is why it is so cool. Haha, little Bug was born that way, the little feisty butt, or paranoid butt. I use terra cotta pots (I have leopard tortoise babies) on their sides, on coco coir for the humidity and sphagnum moss. I have a Christmas tree bin for them, as a closed chamber (read Tom's very informative thread on this subject). Hot and humid = healthy and happy! Here is a pic of my little funny buns.

Attachments

• S30A2689.JPG
    S30A2689.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 21

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Welcome, Susan! Sounds like you've got your hands full over there. I'm always happy to see new CDT keepers on here -- I'm in LA and have two juvenile CDTs, who are brumating right now.

How does the chronic RI manifest itself with your big guy? What symptoms does he exhibit?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Be very careful to wash your hands between the big guy and the other torts....they are ultra sensitive in catching the snots/illness from one another and this can happen via you....no dish sharing, no reaching from one to the other directly and such :D

If you have males in your mix...this is a species that will absolutely bully and be highly aggressive towards one another....if the one tort is the outgoing one moreover than the others...you may want to make plans for them having their own digs....

momof6brats

Nikky will have a slightly bubbly nose. We have an excellent exotic vet in Claremont, "Chaparral" .They have said it is similar to my rescued cat's chronic respiratory disease and that most "pet" tortoises carry this disease, but not all manifest symptoms.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the forum. I have three 7 year old desert tortoises. I live in Alta Loma so we are just a few miles from one another.

The day after Christmas the Walmart on Foothill by the 15 freeway will have the large plastic Christmas tree totes. They make really great enclosures.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
most "pet" tortoises carry this disease,

This simply is not true..... This worries me that a vet is saying this...kinda like it is no big deal.

Please be sure to pay special attention in not cross contaminating from the ailing tort to the other torts...also, if your tort has been tested and properly/actually diagnosed (not just a vet looking at the tort and "saying" it has a RI) with RI then I would not allow this tort to brumate...however, if the tortoise has not been properly tested/diagnosed with actual test then perhaps the tort simply may have stressed/environment induced runny nose (not the same as a RI)....

momof6brats

The vet just examined Nikky, no testing done. He has always hibernates ( why does everyone say bruminate? Is that the correct term or is it somehow different thing?) Anyways, he has "slept" outdoors in his burrow under my big Cypress trees every year for the past 15 years. It is at the highest point in my yard and no matter the weather, he stays totally dry. I check on him frequently to make sure he's okay.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Brumation is marked by periodic awakening/movement..
Hibernation is usually one lengthy period of inactivity..

Generally reptiles brumate and mammals hibernate (bears and the like) :D

The vet just examined Nikky, no testing done.

So you are then not confirmed if yes or no a RI is present? If you are referring simply to a clear wet nose from time to time--that can be caused by a variety of factors and is not a clear way to decide RI...

I only asked these things because it is so common for a vet to simply "look" at a tort and declare it has a RI...with no confirmed testing...a clear runny nose could be a multitude of things...things that are not a RI...

One of the CDTs here dug out his own burrow that is several feet down---this is a wonderful thing when summer is in full force here in the desert...however, when he is spending the majority of his day inside his burrow he will have clear wet eyes and clear wet nose (not mucus, not bubbles--just a little clear wetness)....when he does not spend all of his time in his burrow but moves to spending time in the above ground hut I have for him---his eyes are no longer wet nor does he have a clear wet nose....my speculation is that he gets wet eyes and nose to keep those areas clean and clear of dirt....he eats, basks and exercise as the other men folk---the other men folk here don't burrow the same as he does ---but when they do behave as a burrowing tort they will get wet eyes and wet nose until they are done digging....this is just my observation....so thought I would share it with you is all...