New closed chamber

BobbyJ

I have a 90 gallon tank and a redfoot tortoise in there about 4".. I've had every issue in the book so far .. Last night I usedd plastic wrap and tinfoil around the lamp to cover the entire tank to help keep humidity in .. There is one or two small holes but for the most part it's completely closed off .. My humidity was at an 80 percent this morning with the substrate being dry and I didn't run the fogger all night . I'm worried that he will suffocate in there .. Is that a concern I should have or is the way I'm doing things okay ?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I have a 90 gallon tank and a redfoot tortoise in there about 4".. I've had every issue in the book so far .. Last night I usedd plastic wrap and tinfoil around the lamp to cover the entire tank to help keep humidity in .. There is one or two small holes but for the most part it's completely closed off .. My humidity was at an 80 percent this morning with the substrate being dry and I didn't run the fogger all night . I'm worried that he will suffocate in there .. Is that a concern I should have or is the way I'm doing things okay ?

I was worried about that too in the beginning so i will explain it the same way @Tom did to me.

If a tortoise can survive 24 hours in a tiny shipping box it can survive 24 hours in your closed chamber. You are supposed to open it up at least once a day to feed and clean it's water dish and you will exchange enough air while doing this. I Hope that eased your fears of closed chambers, it did for me. If your closed chamber is set up correctly you won't need a fogger. That's the beauty of a closed chamber.

BobbyJ

I was worried about that too in the beginning so i will explain it the same way @Tom did to me.

If a tortoise can survive 24 hours in a tiny shipping box it can survive 24 hours in your closed chamber. You are supposed to open it up at least once a day to feed and clean it's water dish and you will exchange enough air while doing this. I Hope that eased your fears of closed chambers, it did for me. If your closed chamber is set up correctly you won't need a fogger. That's the beauty of a closed chamber.
Yup thanks that helped a lot . I only used the fogger for a few minutes last night and woke up and it was still so high (80-85%) . I had gnats in my tank so I baked the new substrate and I'm thinking of adding pill bugs from the outside .. Have you ever done that or do you know anything about them ?? I'm worried they would escApe

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Yup thanks that helped a lot . I only used the fogger for a few minutes last night and woke up and it was still so high (80-85%) . I had gnats in my tank so I baked the new substrate and I'm thinking of adding pill bugs from the outside .. Have you ever done that or do you know anything about them ?? I'm worried they would escApe
The gnats are short lived because of the new substrate. They'll go away shortly. Pull bugs are great but your Redfoot will eat them so be prepared to fetch some more.

BobbyJ

The gnats are short lived because of the new substrate. They'll go away shortly. Pull bugs are great but your Redfoot will eat them so be prepared to fetch some more.
Okay , but can the pill bugs or sow bugs escape from the tank ?