New, considering adding another tortoise

How many tortoises do you have?

• Total voters

Kalena

Hello!

I'm new to the site and I own a female Red Footed Tortoise which I have had for a year. I bought her from PetCo and at the time, she was a terrible at eating regularly. I endured stress for a week until she finally started eating for me. She is healthy and loves hiding.

Now, I am considering getting another tortoise, a female Cherry Head Red Foot. I would love to keep them together so they can be companions, however I am not sure if they would get along… Any experienced tortoise owners have some advice?

Thanks!

Kalena

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Never mix diff. species. Diff. diet, risk of disease, if you do keep separate.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
To add a new tortoises you need to have two enclosure. 1. you need to quarantine 3 to 6 month before you introducing the new torts to the old, even you getting another one from Petco, and 2, if two of them do not get along well together, you need to have other enclosure to housing them.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i would advise against keeping the 2 together yes they are a closely related species but they are different if you want another tortoise that's awesome as i'm sure 90% of us here want another tort just make another enclosure that way him/her can be the king/queen of there own castle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pairs are not a good idea. If you have a VERY large enclosure with all sorts of hiding places you could probably keep several of the same type AFTER a lengthy quarantine period and several clean fecal exams. Even with all that you will have to watch them closely and make sure nobody is being picked on, and be prepared to separate them and have all of them live separately if there is an issue.

There was a thread a few months ago where a person had a pair of cherryheads and one literally ate one of the feet of the other one over a period of about six weeks of living hell for the one being picked on. They do best alone. If you want more than one, have a separate enclosure, or if you have the time and space get a group of the same type.

Here is a threads about pairs:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
My redfoots live together in a 36' by 39' yard. They hardly cross paths as one hides in the tall grass and the other under the grapevine.

They were introduce at a older age also. One was 5 and the other is at estimate 6-8. The male did antagonize the (still unsexed) other while they were in an indoor enclosure but outside they do fine together.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The carbonaria seem to do ok in groups, while most other species of tortoise really prefer to be alone. I would assume that RF tortoises prefer to be alone too, however, they are more tolerant of other RF in their territory.

I have read, here on the Forum, (I don't know much about RF tortoises) that the cherry heads are a bit more aggressive than other RF tortoises. So if you want to add a cherry head, be prepared to have two separate habitats. But that really won't be a problem, because you need a separate habitat for the quarantine period and you will already have the other habitat. ;)

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kalena welcome to the TFO from AZ . Just get ready to keep them a part and maybe you can keep them together . Good luck . And have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

yillt

Welcome. I have been in your position before. I wanted Billy to have a 'friend'. You may think now that you really want one but once you get one you will realise you should have actually spoilt your first one first. List all the reasons you want another tortoise on a piece of paper and on another, list all the reasons you shouldn't get another one. Which ever side wins. Do that. :) I will start you off.
Good. :)
Tortoises make me happy and the more
I have the happier I will be.

Bad. :(
There could be bullying and then one of them might get seriously hurt.