New eastern Hermann

Lolovespark

Location (City and/or State)
Sandwich, IL
Hello I was here about 6 months ago, we had purchased a red foot at a reptile show and unfortunately he passed away. We are preparing for a eastern Hermann. I’m concerned about how to keep the humidity level where it needs to be. We have a tortoise table. I am wondering if I should purchase a fogger. With a humidifier I couldn’t get the humidity over 60%. We plan on using ecoearth and cypress reptile mulch as substrate. Any advise would be appreciated. I have read the car sheet but I’m concerned bc we lost our first.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
May I ask whom you are buying it from? And how old will he be

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I myself went and offered a couple of mini greenhouses to enclose my hatchling starter chamber(s) but I have been having success when I used shower curtains. It ended up looking really professional. Unfortunately I took it down so I could redo the interior, so I'm just going to wait and see if i like the greenhouse idea better....
Those greenhouses are pretty cheap!

Lolovespark

Sandwich, IL
I’ve been research tortoisetown online. I haven’t committed yet. There’s a weekly reptile show about an hour from us, but with the bad experience from before I’m apprehensive about it. Also (we sometimes just take the kids to walk around and look) in all the times we’ve been there it’s mainly sulcus babies that are there.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
You might want to check out the vendor reviews here on the forum. Tortoise town doesn't have great reviews. I purchased mine from them, he is now almost 3 however I think I had a lucky one. There's vendor list on here too.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I’ve been research tortoisetown online. I haven’t committed yet. There’s a weekly reptile show about an hour from us, but with the bad experience from before I’m apprehensive about it. Also (we sometimes just take the kids to walk around and look) in all the times we’ve been there it’s mainly sulcus babies that are there.
Hello. Hermann’s are great! You probably don’t want to go with Tortoise Town, as many have posted bad reviews with them on the forum. You could try Garden State Tortoise or Tortstork.com, both have very great reviews. Chris Leone is also great with answering questions you may have about your Hermann’s and his site Hermannihaven.com is great!

Reactions: Ink

Lolovespark

Sandwich, IL
You might want to check out the vendor reviews here on the forum. Tortoise town doesn't have great reviews. I purchased mine from them, he is now almost 3 however I think I had a lucky one. There's vendor list on here too.
When they state well established hatchling... how old is that usually?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
It probably depends on who the vendor is.. tortoise town told me Gilbert (my Western Hermann) was going to be at Least 6 months old. I paid extra too. However he came here and was maybe 3 to 4 months max. It is very scary to have such a small new tortoise. A western is so small grown.. he was about the size of a quarter maybe.

I personally would look at the vendor and reviews. Double check here with the experts. I love my tortoises and if you need to wait that might just work out best. My opinion good luck

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I bought Opo a sulcata at a repticon show. So far I have lucked out Opo is almost 3years. But when I called what I thought was a breeder about a question. I found out he was a pet store owner. He sold me everything I didn't need and also gave me wrong info on food. Not saying everyone at repticon is a pet store owner. But even there you need to ask questions.