New Enclosure Help!

Tortloverr

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia, USA
I am getting a Hermann's tortoise soon and had built an enclosure that I found has too many issues to really be useful (major issue is size). So I'm trying to start making plans for a new enclosure that will meet all the needs of my tortoise. I only have a 5.5'x4' space to work with in my house, so I'm thinking a two level enclosure is the only way to go. I found the picture while browsing for ideas, but I am curious if it could actually work. How would the lighting be best set up? Should I have a basking area on both levels or just one and leave the other "floor" cool? Would the tortoise actually use both floors or does this make the enclosure too cramped for him/her?

I've considered making just a 4'x2.5' top level, but I'm afraid that would leave too much of a dark area underneath.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• DSC01649.jpg
    DSC01649.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 40

Rue

Canada
I have a similar issue (with space and having a Hermann's ). When I broached the idea of a 2 - level enclosure the consensus was "No!".

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
If you're getting a hatchling an enclosure like that will be next to impossible to keep humidity in. And there is no good way to keep all parts of it warm enough without having lights hanging everywhere and either at unsafe angles or dangerous heights.
If you're getting an adult then I don't think that would be big enough. Once the substrate goes in the walls won't be tall enough and your tort will be able to climb right out.

Where are you located? Are you looking to get a hatchling/juvenile/adult?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
In the future will you be able to provide more space? The amount of space you have available is not big enough for a tortoise. A hatching young adult yeah for a bit. But long term you have to think about as well. I would say wait on getting a tortoise till you have the space. You can do a table with 252nd level going down into a sleeping hide area. That way the tortoise would use the top area mainly and retreat into the darker area for sleep. Like a burrow indoors.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Quite seriously, if you cannot provide adequate accommodation for a tort then you should reconsider getting one.

You are not doing it any favours by housing it wrongly - just catering for your 'need' to own one as a pet.

Tortloverr

Virginia, USA
If you're getting a hatchling an enclosure like that will be next to impossible to keep humidity in. And there is no good way to keep all parts of it warm enough without having lights hanging everywhere and either at unsafe angles or dangerous heights.
If you're getting an adult then I don't think that would be big enough. Once the substrate goes in the walls won't be tall enough and your tort will be able to climb right out.

Where are you located? Are you looking to get a hatchling/juvenile/adult?

I would be getting a hatchling and keep it someplace smaller at first, this would just be for the long term. I had planned on making the walls bigger, this was just somewhat of an example. If I was a better artist, I'd draw what I was thinking but I'm not :( lol!

Tortloverr

Virginia, USA
In the future will you be able to provide more space? The amount of space you have available is not big enough for a tortoise. A hatching young adult yeah for a bit. But long term you have to think about as well. I would say wait on getting a tortoise till you have the space. You can do a table with 252nd level going down into a sleeping hide area. That way the tortoise would use the top area mainly and retreat into the darker area for sleep. Like a burrow indoors.

I could possibly use the 5.5' by 5.5' space, I was just trying to keep it so that I could more easily get around the enclosure. The burrow idea is great, I hadn't thought of that for an indoor enclosure. I do plan on building a large outdoor enclosure soon so he/she will spend most it's time there

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I could possibly use the 5.5' by 5.5' space, I was just trying to keep it so that I could more easily get around the enclosure. The burrow idea is great, I hadn't thought of that for an indoor enclosure. I do plan on building a large outdoor enclosure soon so he/she will spend most it's time there
For a baby, the 5.5" by 5.5" should be fine. And once s/he gets older, you could make the outdoor enclosure like you stated. Or you could then add another level. I think the main problem with a 2 level like the one pictured is humidity. Humidity is important for babies and Its easier if you have a covered single top enclosure. Once theyre older, plants in the enclosure can provide adequate humidity and possibly a humidity box, or partially covered enclosure.
Also, one of our members, Tom, did have a thread somewhere where he had a 2 level hatchling enclosure. He had a big tank with very tall sides, so that kept humidity in well.