new enclosure in a pinch

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Well I got those three new Russians a couple of days ago, and they came with a bookcase they had been in (from Tracy). So I didn't plan for a new enclosure for them until when they can go outside in Spring/Summer.

Well today Bentley (the male) was harassing the two girls sooo much, and they were SOOOO upset that they were biting him and each other, they were just so restless all day. The bookcase they were in was a little small for them to really get away from each other, and I don't know if I was more stressed to watch them pick on each other or if they were more stressed! LOL!

Yes, I could have just pulled Bentley out and put him somewhere else, but I don't have any extra lights/lamps, and didn't want to have to go out and buy more right now.

So I threw together an enclosure in my basement (alongside my big Russian enclosure). It's nothing fancy and certainly not huge (roughly about 52" square, not including the "hay barn" and "loft" (which are easily 4' x 2'. I just didn't want to go out and buy anything more right now (I would if it were absolutely necessary, of course), so I just used some shelves and heavy things to block off sides (on top of a tarp), threw down all of the extra substrate I had (including some mulch and lots of hay), and they are MUCH happier, and I"m not stressing now! LOL!

Here's the main section... nothing fancy, and I'll still throw in another site break, and of course I need to get their soaking/water dish in there still, AND hang up their UVB light:
103_6168.jpg

Anyways, here is what I'm most proud of, that I pulled off in a pinch... a shelving unit... underneath is the "hay barn" which is stuffed with hay (and which is where all three are hiding out right now). Then on the shelf on top of that, I created a "loft"... only the two big girls can get up there (ha ha, Bentley!) so they can get a break from him! That's just an old spice rack I duct taped to the edge to discourage them from just leaping off!
103_6165.jpg

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You did THAT in a pinch?!!? Thats awesome!! great job

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
THanks! Well I had all that stuff in my basement anyway, so it's time I put it to good use! LOL! THey've all bedded down for the night, but I'm sure they'll love it when they're up and at 'em tomorrow! I can't wait to watch them explore!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thats great Kelly, you gotta do what ya gotta do. Great quick thinking..

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Way to be creative! I would like to see a picture of the girls getting up there! That will be a sight.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
Awesome use of your resources Kelly

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Necissity is the mother of invention. I don't know how many times I've cobbled something together that worked out great. Now I have developed a stock pile of tubs, cement trays, ect that I got on sale. Good job Kelly.

foxyolboxy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nice job! This is a credo that has served me over the years. "We the unknowing, have been doing so much for so long with so little, we are now fully qualified to do anything with nothing" :rolleyes:

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
My credo is: I am fully qualified to do nothing with anything;)

Your in-a-pinch enclosure is fantastic!
i am inspired to re-do the criiters and the kids' "enclosures" now! Thanks!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.