New enclosure - now doesn't move

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
2 days ago, Milly (20 months) was put into a new enclosure, double the size of her old one. Same substrate of coco coir, with some sphagnum moss hides. Humidity 90% - 50%, Same temps, 27oC cooler end, 43oC basking spot, and 27oC at night.

But now all milly has done for the past couple of days is stay in one of the hides ALL day. She comes out to eat, and had a 2 minute walk around, but then went back to the same hide. She hasn't drank or basked under her lamp.

Why? Is she just getting used to her new enclosure? Is this normal? Thanks. She seems okay otherwise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you sure the temps and humidity are correct? With a larger enclosure, usually more heat may be needed. Are you using a reliable source to read the temps and humidity? The little round puck like kind my pet stores aren't reliable and don't seem to last a long times. Also, is it light enough? You may need to add another light. She may just need to get readjusted to a new enclosure. Double check everything.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Could just be getting used to it. When I rearrange my enclosure my tort will act funny for a while, then be back to normal. I just put a larger log hide in mine this morning (finally outgrew the old one) and she ate and has been sitting in the hide ever since. Hasn't even basked yet.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Yep the temps are correct. The only one I'm not sure about is where she has been lying. But I'm pretty sure its about 30oc as it's not far from the basking lamp. I'm waiting on another thermometer. Yeah the equipment is reliable, remote probed sensor and thermostat along with che for night. She's been a little more active since this post. Basked for five minutes, then ate, back to her hide, Then lay on her rock for a while before returning to the hide. Hopefully she's just adjusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.