New Enclosure - Old Dresser + A Days Work = Happy Tortoise

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd share our new enclosure with you. We took an old dresser and laid it on it's back, removed the drawers and here's the result. So far our leopard tortoise loves it. The front is plexiglass, the rest is "old dresser".

Daytime temp - 82-87
Night time temp 75-80

Humidity - Current spraying twice daily, with humidity never dipping below 50.

If anyone's interested in this project, I'd be happy to document the process we went through and materials used.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388957336.892750.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388957376.037491.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388957414.931981.jpg

Since moving I to to his new home our tortoise is eating, pooping and exploring very well.

It's a big upgrade over his old Rubbermaid home and he's noticeably more active.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks really nice. Depending on his age and size, I would try to get the night temps 80 not lower and the humidity no lower then 80%. The disc type gauge are using, is very unreliable. Vest too look into a digital with or without a probe. They can be found at stores like Home Depot for as little as 10.00 and work much better, more accurate. A inferred temp gun is also a great tool too have.

Thanks Wellington.

That gauge is the third in the tank and not relied upon much. There are two digital hygrometers at either side, the I don't think the displays were visible in the picture. As for the humidity, once we spray, it tends to slowly go down to about 55 before a re spray. We're looking into an automated mister in the meantime and are soaking two times daily.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds good then. Sorry I didn't see the other ones if they are visible in the pics.

We got the plexiglass at Home Depot it was around $30. They have different thicknesses there as well.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
very nice :) always great when you can reuse things. i find myself buying most of my tort stuff at Walmart or home depot instead of pet stores.