turning a dresser into an enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Ok, I'd like some help/suggestions. In our garage we have an old dresser that my husband was using to keep some things in. He says he doesn't really need it and why don't we turn it into an enclosure for my juvenile box turtle. The outer dimensions of the dresser are almost 3 feet wide by almost 4 feet tall. I'm thinking the inner dimensions would be a couple of inches smaller each way. So anyway, laid on it's back is how it would be used of course. The thinking is to attach locking wheels to the back turned bottom of the enclosure to make it easier for me to maneuver. And to line the inside with plastic sheeting or a tarp of some kind from Lowes. Is there anything I need to be concerned about? any chance of a certain type of wood it could possibly be made of that would be harmful? Any concerns at all? And any tips are welcome as well.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
That is an excellent idea, and I say go for it! Anything that has been furniture for awhile is very safe as a tortoise enclosure.
Just make sure the liner is sturdy (heavy duty sheeting), or a tarp is fine. I used 'shower pan liner' that you can buy by the foot at Lowe's.
Wheels are great.

Be sure to post pics when you are done!

Status
Not open for further replies.