New enclosure, what do you guys think?

simiruco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mexico City
Hello guys, I have had a sulcata for a little over 4 years, to be a hundred percent honest, I have neglected her enclosure and humidity levels for about three years, however I really want to get better and provide her with the best care I can so I tought the best way to go was a new enclosure, this is the old one:
IMG_5806.jpg

This is the new one which was just finished earlier today and is a bit over twice as big:

IMG_5807.jpg
IMG_5808.jpg
IMG_5809.jpg

To provide much more humidity I added a very thick layer of moisture retaining substrate (about 4 inches) and it is in a place that has a greater air flow than before.

I was wondering, what do you think of the upgrade?

I appreciate all coments.

PS. Because of the bad parameters I have had most of the time she has developed a little pyramiding, however it is not too bad and I am expecting to take better care of her so that she keeps growing but much smoother.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I do see some issues:

I don’t see a basking bulb? Or UVB? Does your tortoise go outside at all?
Those clamp lights are quite dangerous they often fail and the lamp will end up setting fire to your enclosure.
What are your temperature inside your enclosure?

There is no hide, you need lots more hiding places and some plants.

I’m not sure if a closed chamber would benefit your tortoise now at 4 years old.. I’ll let the experts answer that one
@Tom

Would love to see a pic of your tortoise.

simiruco

5 Year Member
Mexico City
I do see some issues:

I don’t see a basking bulb? Or UVB? Does your tortoise go outside at all?
Those clamp lights are quite dangerous they often fail and the lamp will end up setting fire to your enclosure.
What are your temperature inside your enclosure?

There is no hide, you need lots more hiding places and some plants.

I’m not sure if a closed chamber would benefit your tortoise now at 4 years old.. I’ll let the experts answer that one
@Tom

Would love to see a pic of your tortoise.

The uvb is no problem, she goes outside most days most of the days, she spends around 16 hours in and 8 out most days, that is why it is quite simple inside, and I am thinking about planting some plants that she can eat.

IMG_5810.jpg

Thats a pic of her, she has a few marks because she was attacked by one of my dogs like two years ago when the door was opened by my father accidentally

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Couple of recommendations right of the bat:

1.) You need a cover on top to retain the humidity (very important!)
2.) I might recommend lining the bottom with a thick shower curtain to protect the wood beneath. Makes it much easier to clean as well.

Questions:
1.) What kind of substrate is that?
2.) What are the dimensions of the new enclosure? (length / width / height)
3.) Do you use a UVB lamp in addition to the CHE?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
The uvb is no problem, she goes outside most days most of the days, she spends around 16 hours in and 8 out most days, that is why it is quite simple inside, and I am thinking about planting some plants that she can eat.

View attachment 245827

Thats a pic of her, she has a few marks because she was attacked by one of my dogs like two years ago when the door was opened by my father accidentally

Ok, well UVB shouldn’t be an issue then.

What about a basking lamp? The basking spot should be around 100-105f do you manage to obtain that temperature with a CHE?

On this forum we always ask for 4 temperatures,
Basking
Warm side
Cool side
Overnight

Also she looks very dry. Do you soak her at all?

what do you feed her?

There are some great threads on here with food ideas.

I think she will benefit from plants in the enclosure.

simiruco

5 Year Member
Mexico City
Couple of recommendations right of the bat:

1.) You need a cover on top to retain the humidity (very important!)
2.) I might recommend lining the bottom with a thick shower curtain to protect the wood beneath. Makes it much easier to clean as well.

Questions:
1.) What kind of substrate is that?
2.) What are the dimensions of the new enclosure? (length / width / height)
3.) Do you use a UVB lamp in addition to the CHE?

The red paint is waterproof, the same one I use in my house roof.
1) the substrate is a mexican brand with mexican name but it is basically organic soil specially made for pets with a mix of coconut fiber and tree bark.
2) The dimensions are 134 x 110 x 50 cm (about 4.40 ft by 3.6 ft by 1.64 ft)
3) I dont use UVB bulb because she goes outside a big part of everyday, the CHE is basically for the nightime when it gets cold.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
The red paint is waterproof, the same one I use in my house roof.
1) the substrate is a mexican brand with mexican name but it is basically organic soil specially made for pets with a mix of coconut fiber and tree bark.
2) The dimensions are 134 x 110 x 50 cm (about 4.40 ft by 3.6 ft by 1.64 ft)
3) I dont use UVB bulb because she goes outside a big part of everyday, the CHE is basically for the nightime when it gets cold.

Cool! Are you certain there's ample room to move around in it? I'm really bad at perception. About the paint... I'm not familiar with roof paints (never had to use them). Is it pretty good about the fume levels? I know I'm nitpicking a bit, so please don't take offense.

simiruco

5 Year Member
Mexico City
Ok, well UVB shouldn’t be an issue then.

What about a basking lamp? The basking spot should be around 100-105f do you manage to obtain that temperature with a CHE?

On this forum we always ask for 4 temperatures,
Basking
Warm side
Cool side
Overnight

Also she looks very dry. Do you soak her at all?

what do you feed her?

There are some great threads on here with food ideas.

I think she will benefit from plants in the enclosure.

The ceramic heat emitter does provide the adequate temperature, it is 150 watts, and there is a room heater that keeps the room hot at all times so she does have 3 different temperatures all day and during the night they drop just a little.

I haven’t soaked her for years and I am aware that is a terrible thing, however I bought a big tub yesterday where I will be soaking her from now on with warm water.

She eats mainly lettuce, and depending on what I have I usually add nopal, epazote, watercress, parsley and tomatoes.

I just planted some chia which is what I used to plant when she was younger, I don’t really know what else I could plant in there that would grow easily and benefit her.

simiruco

5 Year Member
Mexico City
Cool! Are you certain there's ample room to move around in it? I'm really bad at perception. About the paint... I'm not familiar with roof paints (never had to use them). Is it pretty good about the fume levels? I know I'm nitpicking a bit, so please don't take offense.

Don’t worry at all, I appreciate every comment, after all I am trying to improve.
There is now A LOT of room for her to move around and that paint is pretty safe for animals, no fumes.