New Enclosure

mellie101

10 Year Member!
HI everybody. I know that this has probably been covered so many times but I'm a bit of a worrier.
I've just purchased a new enclosure for our year old Golden Greek Boy. Over the past couple of weeks he's really become so social. Such a character. We've bought him an enclosure with glass along the front so that he can see out.
I've seen here some awesome suggestions for designs for indoor enclosures and I'm eager to try something new. I'd like to put potting soil down and grow some plants in it. I saw that Aloe and other succulents are good. I'd like to throw some grass seeds in and some dandelion. My main concern is that currently I clean all the coir out and put brand new stuff down with every cleaning. Obviously with the soil and plants I'm assuming that its just 'spot cleaning'. Is there anything else I'd need to do?
Then other question would be just for suggestions for plants that are safe.
Can't wait to get started on this.
Thanks so much everybody.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Use plain top soil not potting soil. You don't want the fertilizer or perlite around your tort.

Spot cleaning is fine. I didn't do a full substrate change for a whole year.

You can add some pill bugs to the enclosure. They will eat left over food and poop. Little custodians for ya ;)

mellie101

10 Year Member!
Heather thanks so much. Had to look up Pill bugs. I'm English and we call them Monkeypeas :) No idea where that came from. Thank you.