Plants that are liked by the Tortoises

TortsGeorge&Izzy

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Ok so I've starting looking over the other posts about what plants to plant in the tortoise enclosures and I see people saying some plants are or aren't ok or posting links to safe and toxic plant lists.

Part of the reason we have the plants in the enclosure is so that the tortoise can eat them too. So my question is from the tortoise safe plants what type of plants do your tortoises like eating?

(not sure how much taste varies between different types of tortoises, but I'm looking to plant in my Sulcata's outdoor enclosure .... not quite sure what I'm doing for the Leopard tortoise's new outdoor enclosure but I'm sure I'll be adding plants to hers as well.)

(We're in PA)

I like to plant perennials so I don't have to replant everything every year but between some plants being annuals, being eaten, or just not coming back for whatever reason there is still room to plant more.

I had some kale planted last year...I looked over the yard and so far there seems to be one kale growing again. I'd like to plant some vegetables as well whether they be in the actual tortoise enclosure or in our garden. Any suggestions as to what your tortoises like as well as what should be a big part of their diet? We like to grow some veggies the humans and animals can both eat.

I think I'd like to get some more succulents - any recommendations as to which you and your tortoises like?

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Pumpkin does really well in my area, and grows fast enough to keep up with them. Mine love the leaves.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
I put rosemary bushes in my hermanns enclosure for shade also it is native to where hermanns are found so it is a win win

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Mexican Heather seems to be one of Tuleo's favorites. It looks pretty and grows quickly into a nice bush (that now looks like a little tree since he has eaten all the bottom growth!)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
With a sulcata just about anything you plant will get eaten.

The grape and mulberry leaves get high ratings here, but of course the tortoises can not normally get to them to eat them, you have to harvest for them. Clovers and orchard grass are loved. Maybe a cactus that can live in your area, .

How much money do you want to spend and how long do you want them to live? Self graze plants? How large is your sulcata?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'm in Michigan and pulled a lot of wildflowers from The Tortoise Table list: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?thissection=6
I chose ones at are marked "safe to feed" or "safe in moderation" and ended up with some pretty good variety. You may want to try cross-referencing those plants with a list of native Pennsylvania plants, and this can get you some plants that will be more tolerant to your climate.

Pennsylvania natives Google search: https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=native pennsylvania plants

Also, the USDA PLANTS Database is helpful too. It usually has whether the plant is annual, biennial, or perennial listed, as well as some images and other tidbits. ;) I did a lot of research for my garden, but it was definitely worth it!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Make sure any potted plants you purchase have a chance to grow new leaves before feeding them. Many times, chemicals are used to speed up the growth of these plants before they're sold.