New England Tortoise Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne21

5 Year Member
Im interested in purchasing a tortoise as a pet, although the main issue that seems o be affront is financial issues and the fact that I live in New England. I would need a tortoise that doesn't cost an extreme amount to purchase and give shelter but I would also need a breed that would be able to withstand New England weather. Now fare in mind I'm interested in a semi large to large tortoise that will live at least a decent life span, I can house indoors, but obviously would love to have him be outside quite alot, although with the weather that can be an issue, I have an old dog cage still up that is about 40x40 feet with a small dog house in the center and is surrounded by a chain fence, but I was unsure if this would be suitable or if there is a way I could make use of this and possibly refurbish it to be habitable, the two breeds I was looking at we're Sulcata and Red Foot, but was unsure about their survivabolity and financial costs, those were some ideas I stumbled upon while looking for larger tortoises with a lifespan behind them but am open to reccomendations Thank you in advance for any help.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Hmmm ... I personally wouldn't get either of those tortoises because they both need the warmer weather. You could try to heat them and keep them in the house in the colder months, but in the end, the tortoises really suffer because they can't be outside as much as they should. Maybe you should think about a marginated tortoise. They get semi-large (about the size of a redfoot) and can hibernate in the winter. You wouldn't have to heat him through the coldest months and he could be outside in the warmer months. Of course he would need a yard to graze in ... etc. Just a thought - good luck!!!

Champagne21

5 Year Member
A yard is absolutely no issue, have about an acre of pure yard and garden that the tortoise can roam around in, thank you for your input though :)!

Are there other options though? Was kind of looking for a plethora of choices so that I could really get a sense of my choices

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
If the tortoise can't be outside for most of the year then avoid the larger tortoises such as red/yellow foots, leopard, sulcata, aldabra and galapagos. All tortoises have a good life span and if treated right some can live upto 150 years! African species can't be hibernated, whereas most others can. Maybe consider a marginated, russian, greek, or pancake. However ALL tortoises need AMPLE amounts of room as they all walk miles a day in the wild. Some species are better off kept on their own if you dont have bags of room - so definitely don't get more than one russian.

All tortoises cost a fortune in my opinion, especially if they are being kept indoors as you have the heating, lighting, housing, hides, substrate, thermometers, hygrometers, thermostats etc etc to pay for. Then on top of this you have vet bills, food, and upkeep to pay for for the rest of your life. It would probably outlive you which you also have to think about.

However, they are VERY rewarding pets which you will soon fall in love with I'm sure. So if your up for spending quite a bit of money and time, go for it! :) good luck on your search and make sure you do plenty of research on the species before acquiring one.

Here is a list of your choices:
http://turtlesandmoreturtles.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/list-of-tortoise-species-and-morph.html

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Champagne, email me at Anthony@theturtleroom(dot)com. I would love to discuss this with you, as I am a fello New Englander and deal with the same issues with my animal keeping. Please let me know if I can help.

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
Very interested in what you all have for ideas of new England tort keeping! I live in Maine & have kept aquatic turtles, but would love love love to keep a tort or even a few someday :)

Sent from my HTC Hero S using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.