Redfoot in New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne21

5 Year Member
I have been interested in owning my own tortoise for many years now, and I realize that one o the biggest issues for me now is my location. I'm currently 17 living in Connecticut, a part of New England and here we have some of the coldest winters and alot of snow and rain, but I do have both a 40x40 foot cage outside with a small house in it that used to house my dogs, the house is about 6x6x6 and I could certainly house it inside, with ample room for a large tortoise table but I was wondering if these conditions would be suitable for a tortoise or if there is another species I should look in to? I also have about an acre of pure grass he could run around in that I can enclose with no problem.

jerbs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Paul, MN
I am from Upstate NY and currently live in Minnesota, and I have a redfoot that's doing very well. I've learned through experience and advice on this forum that a closed chamber indoor enclosure is the only way to go with humidity-loving species. If you get/make one of these to keep the humidity and temps up, he'll be fine. And it sounds like he'll be able to get outside for much of the year which is great. I say go for it.

Champagne21

5 Year Member
Thank you for your input! Does anyone know a reputable dealer or breeder that I may find one of these extraordinary tortoises?

jerbs

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
There are a few on the forum here, I'm sure they'll drop in.

I got mine from ArizoneTortoiseCompound.com Great recommendations and Andrew is terrific to work with. Many use TortoiseSupply.com

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I would say anything is possible given the correct resources and funding. The biggest problem I see for you right now may be your age. Although, I could be wrong. If you for sure want a redfoot just know that an adult will need a large amount of space as they can get as large as 16inches. They will need to be kept at a temperature of 80° year round with high humidity. If you still live at home this would most likely be a family decision because of space and the amount of electric it will take to maintain this. Hatchlings can start out in a much smaller indoor enclosure but grow to 3 or 4 inches in the first year and about an inch every year after that. Not trying to discourage you but for a climate with cold weather and snow it will take a lot more work and money. If you are set on redfoots I'd say start planning and saving so you can provide an adequate environment for when you purchase your new tortoise!

I just wanted to add one more important note. If you are planning to use your outside area for the tort that you say you house your dogs in please know that your dogs will no longer be allowed to house there as well. No matter how behaved your dogs are they can kill a tortoise if left alone.

Champagne21

5 Year Member
Thank you! And no worries I no longer have the dogs but we have the fence and house up still, and yes I understand the issue of my age but I also have a brother that has agreed to learn about it's care and if I ever needed it he would care for it, I also plan on moving down south after college and having area and the right weather for him.

Also, on the website that was recommended (The Arizona One) it gave me the option of a baby or yearling, I was wondering which would be better to purchase for a beginner like me. I was thinking the yearling considered my current age and situation, but wanted to know your guys opinions.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Champagne21 said:
I have been interested in owning my own tortoise for many years now, and I realize that one o the biggest issues for me now is my location. I'm currently 17 living in Connecticut, a part of New England and here we have some of the coldest winters and alot of snow and rain, but I do have both a 40x40 foot cage outside with a small house in it that used to house my dogs, the house is about 6x6x6 and I could certainly house it inside, with ample room for a large tortoise table but I was wondering if these conditions would be suitable for a tortoise or if there is another species I should look in to? I also have about an acre of pure grass he could run around in that I can enclose with no problem.
It's true that Redfoots aren't the ideal species for the northern U.S. but as long as you're willing to provide adequate indoor accomodations for most of the year you should be able to keep them outdoors for anywhere from 3-4.5 months or so depending upon your local climate.
I kept Redfoots, as well as Elongateds and some other non-temperate climate species for years here in the Northeast in the Catskills of New York State. Here in my immediate area most of them could go outdoors from mid-June to mid-September and through the middle of summer remain out day and night most of the time. The Redfoots bred successfully here often. Again, the northern U.S. is certainly not ideal for Redfoots and other similar climate species outdoors, but success is possible with them as long as their climate limitations are observed.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Since you seem set on buying one already, please at least set up an enclosure first. A yearling will be more hardy for you. Make sure you have proper lighting if housing indoors, a mercury vapor bulb or tube light fixture is needed to give them proper nutrients to grow. Also, I would suggest a Ceramic Heat Emitter to keep the enclosure warm enough. This will most likely be needed at night if not in the day time as well to maintain 80°. I also recommend a humidifier to keep the humidity in the range it should be for this tropical species (70%+). Although, you can also use a spray bottle to moisten the substrate. That being said, for an indoor enclosure substrates that I recommend are orchid bark mixed with cypress mulch or topsoil. It is also very beneficial to keep moist (green or sphagnum) moss in hiding spots.

I know this is an overload of information! Just want you to be prepared.

Champagne21

5 Year Member
I appreciate the overload of information! It's best I learn it all now, and I was planning on having everything setup before I purchased him. I was wondering if someone could put together a list of the items I would need to purchase along with a website to order them from?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Information regarding redfoots can be found here: http://www.tortoiselibrary.com

Read as much as you can so that there are no surprises along the way. Also, prior to their arrival, make sure you run their enclosure as if they were in there for a day or two to make sure the temps and humidity are correct and the timers/thermostats function properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.