New environment!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoskins75

5 Year Member
Hi all, I am the proud new owner of an adopted 18yr old male spur thigh tortoise who is preparing himself for hibernation. I am a little worried as I am new to looking after them, but he hasn't had a pooh for nearly a week. Would the change of environment have a affect on him? He seems well and responds well to a warm bath ( moving a lot faster after ). I am starving him (sounds so cruel) at the moment too but was wondering if it is too soon since the move. Should I feed him for a couple more weeks and then settle him down for the winter.

Just for info he lives indoors

Many thanks in advance!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Hoskins75!

I generally continue feeding my outside tortoises. As the days get shorter and the night cooler, the tortoises will usually stop eating on their own. I leave them alone outside and when I don't see them coming out of their houses anymore, that's the time that I box them up and store them away.

Is your spur thigh they type of Greek tortoise that hibernates...that is to say, has his previous keeper allowed hibernation? May we know appx. where in the world you are?

hoskins75

5 Year Member
Emysemys thank you for your response.

Yes his previous owner did hibernate him and told me when I got him that he is ready to be hibernated and that I should stop feeding him now. I live in Cornwall in England and plan to let him live outside in the garden in the summer. I have been bathing him daily for about half an hour each time and he seems to like it. The question is, should I feed him a little and start the hibernation process a little later! Or stick to the process now. I feel very guilty not feeding him (silly I know).

How long should I wait and see if he poops?

sshewett

5 Year Member
Not sure if this helps but I put mine in for hibernation today I have not fed him for a week and he was not ominous out much and if he did would hardly move . It is getting colder now so I've put him in a box of hay in a box of hay lol in the shed will bring him out march time.

Status
Not open for further replies.