Spur thigh advice

nickfudge2001

Hi. I recently adopted a 12 year old spur thigh Mediterranean tortoise. I have only had him for just under 2 weeks now and he hasn't eaten since being in my care. I am keeping him indoors with a seperate heat lamp and uv bulb (keep the uv on during the day and heat during the night). He's not very lively, not eating and wasn't drinking until I gave him a little bath yesterday. I am keeping him in a rabbit cage at the moment as I was told that's better for circulation and I am using aspen for the bedding which is covering a layer of newspaper. I'm assuming he's trying to hibernate himself but I'm unsure whether or not he has been prepared well enough and eaten enough (when with the previous owner) to be able to do so.

Looking for advice, tips and suggestions based on all the above info as I want Timmy to be a happy tortoise. Pic of Timmy included along with his current habitat. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475924132.664796.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475924150.164417.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475924188.653306.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

My guess is this tortoise came from a home where he lived outside. It's very hard on a tortoise to be taken from outside and set up indoors. And a rabbit cage isn't nearly big enough for him.

It's going to take quite a while for him to settle in and realize this is his life now. It would be much easier on him if you could make a bigger enclosure, but if you can't, then just be patient. It's going to take time. He's very depressed. Hopefully he'll snap out of it.

Can you contact the previous keeper and find out what the tortoise is used to eating?

Pawciorc

Malta
He is fully grown and adults dont adapt to new conditions quickly. Have patience, take him outside and he will be fine.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A couple of things:

- Yes that rabbit cage is far too small. The minimum recommended is 4'x8', but your tort may struggle with that.

My Greek (aka Mediterranean Spur Thigh) who we've had 46 years lives outdoors 24/7 in the UK when he's not hibernating. He's still out now winding down for the sleep with the help of some adaptations. The only winter I had to contain him indoors due to illness was stressful for both of us. He had the run of our entire dining room, but it just wasn't big enough.

- Red bulbs are not recommended. Torts have very good colour vision and like to eat red foods (even though those foods are high in sugars and can make them sick :( ) Red bulbs colour substrate and decor red and we have regular cases on TFO of torts not using their intelligence and eating things coloured red by the lamp. I've watched my tort try to eat red circles printed on a newspaper!

What are you using for UVB light.

Please read the following as you will find them helpful

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Greek Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

nickfudge2001

Thank you so much everyone for your valuable feedback, advice and recommendations...I really will take everything on board.

Timmy was kept outside previously but the owner told me that round about now (which was 2weeks ago) they usually move him indoors to get him ready for hibernation. When I collected Timmy they recommended that I just keep him indoors now (using the rabbit cage they gave me, pictured in the photo) and told me to get a uv and heat bulb and feed him up for 2 weeks before starving him for 2 weeks before hibernating him. I do plan on keeping him outside after hibernation so don't intend on turning this cage into his main home, was just using it as an interim home whilst he's prepared for hibernation as instructed. Does this sound right to anyone or should I be keeping him outdoors now? Was debating whether or not to overwinter him (by keeping him in this cage, indoors during the winter with lamps etc) or letting him hibernate which he has done for the last 2 years. Worried about getting the hibernation process wrong see

Thanks for your help so far, I really do want to do everything I can to make this tortoise happy Please keep the help coming, trying my best to understand everything involved in keeping a tortoise happy

Cheers

Nick

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England