New family member (and enclosure)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
My good ol' Millie girl, just got a new baby sister (89% sure is a sister)!!

DSCN2946.jpg

DSCN2956.jpg

And about two months ago I built this new enclosure (its about 18 sq ft):
DSCN2933.jpg

Sleeping area:
DSCN2943.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She's very pretty. Was she quarantined first? Vet checked?

Nice enclosure! I'd love to see more pics of it.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Congrats! I love that enclosure. It looks like just another piece of furniture. Is it working out well so far? I'm sure you spent a lot of time planning it out.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I quarantined her. I'm gonna take them both to the vet soon for checkups. And yes it took me a while, but its working out fantastically. It stays humid (about 90%), its warmer at one end (about 80f on one end and 90f on the other), and it works great as a plant shelf lol

Millie still isn't sure what to make of her... She mostly just watches her, but I'm keeping a close eye on them.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Just a suggestion...put casters on the legs of your enclosure so you can move it around when you want to without tearing up the floor.
Patsy

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Your pictures vividly illustrated that first meeting between big sister and the "new kid". That must have been fun to watch.;)

I hope they get along well. Do females fight as males do?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pretty "sisters," very nice enclosure! Thanks for sharing:)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I love the enclosure it is very nice and I am very jealous now. Wow the one is so much bigger than the other one I'm surprised she doesn't pick on her/him. Good luck with both of them. Do you have moss or moss and dirt in the enclosure and do you also have plants planted in there?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I have an 1" layer of lava rock with 2-3" of soil and then a mix of sphagnum moss and bark on top (with some leaf litter from whenever my tropical plants lose them). I do have live plants in there, one (forgetting the type its in the first pic on the top left) is in its pot which is buried 90%, then I have two air plants/bromeliads that don't need much light, and then I have some fake vine around the full-spectrum bulb so its more filtered.

I am worried that Millie might dominate her, but I'm sure they'll work things out and I'll try and keep on top of them. I've been told that females don't... I hope I was informed correctly. I didn't realize how big Millie was until I set them next to each other. Shell length and body size aren't good correlations in that sense. Anyone else had torts of such varying sizes? I would feel a lot better if I'm not the first person here to have two that are so different in size.

PS K9KidsLove, casters are a great idea!

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Beautiful tort and enclosure! I'll second the request for more photos of life inside :D. It looks big enough that they could avoid each other if they wanted to, unlike a smaller enclosure without many plants or hides.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Jordan...that's beautiful. It's like a piece of furniture. Did you make it and then paint it? I love it! And it fits perfectly in front of that window. Wow!.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Thanks Terry! I did make it. It was my summer project. My apartment isn't huge, but I tried to maximize the space without making my roommate feel like I had a pen in our place. Luckily I grew up making crafts/projects with my dad, and had a jigsaw.

PS I can never get over how supporting, positive, and intelligent (posing critical questions) the people on this board are!

Tort update:
Millie is sleeping in one shelter, Gertrude is in another. I hope that Millie doesn't wake up hoping that yesterday was all a bad dream.

M

Maggie Cummings

Great job! Your tortoises will love living there...

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
I am redoing my enclosure and am wondering, did you water proof your enclosure? I love the idea of bromeliads and it is fun to see your set-up. From what I read here, just monitor for food bullying and they should be fine. thanks for sharing

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
What a great enclosure for them and done so respectful of your roomie's space! (Your roomie must be impressed too I hope!) Thank you for sharing the creative & hard work of your summer project!

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Tort update:
Millie is sleeping in one shelter, Gertrude is in another. I hope that Millie doesn't wake up hoping that yesterday was all a bad dream.

This made me laugh out loud - i pictured Millie waking and shouting 'Noooooooooooo'

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
LOVE your names for your torts =] I have an aunt named Mely and my great grandmother was named Gertrude :p

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Patricia, I did caulk everything and then put down linoleum (or whatever its called). It definitely doesn't leak and shouldn't rot, but I haven't filled it with water either lol

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
An update:

3 Days later:
10942_101648116524946_100000392757800_44806_1107910_n.jpg

The girls seem to be getting more and more comfortable around each other, and Millie does not seem interested in asserting her dominance

Status
Not open for further replies.