New Fence

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A couple week-ends ago my tortoise partner, Will from San Diego, came up and started on the box turtle fence replacement.

The original box turtle yard was enclosed with grape stakes (ignore the wire fence, that's what I used to keep the turtles away from my work area).

box turtle fence 9-17-16.jpg

I loved the grape stake look. But over this past year, every so often, one of my neighbors would bring me a box turtle he found walking in our neighborhood. Since box turtles aren't native to my area, it was a pretty good bet that it was an escapee. Try as I might, I just couldn't see where they were getting out. So I knew it was time for a fence replacement.

This is what I saw when I started my demolition:

box turtle 9-17-16.jpg

She was wedged in so tight I had to remove a grape stake to free her.

box turtle fence 9-17-16 b.jpg box turtle fence 9-17-16 c.jpg box turtle fence 9-17-16 d.jpg box turtle fence 9-17-16 e.jpg box turtle fence 9-28-16 a.jpg box turtle fence 9-28-16 b.jpg
Finished product:

box turtle fence 10-1-16 a.jpg

I put down rectangular cement stepping stones then built the fence on top of them:

box turtle fence 10-1-16 b.jpg

This is where the three toe box turtles live (I still have to clean up the demolition junk):

box turtle fence 10-1-16 c.jpg

This is where the luteola live:

box turtle fence 10-1-16 d.jpg

Luteola:

box turtle fence 10-1-16 e.jpg

This is a quarantine pen. Eventually I'll go to my daughter's house and get some palm fronds to cover the hiding area:

box turtle fence 10-1-16 f.jpg
The Florida box turtles live here:

box turtle fence 10-1-16 g.jpg box turtle fence 10-1-16 h.jpg
And this one is where I put the young turtles that aren't big enough yet to go live in the bigger yards:

box turtle fence 10-1-16 i.jpg

There's still quite a bit left to do, but it's all clean up and finish work. At least the animals are safely contained and I can rest easy.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Just curious....how long do you keep the young one's separated from the big kids? I have a few 3 and 4 year old's that I still have separated in the small garden. The big males can be such bullies when the food comes out. You are lucky to have all that room for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just curious....how long do you keep the young one's separated from the big kids? I have a few 3 and 4 year old's that I still have separated in the small garden. The big males can be such bullies when the food comes out. You are lucky to have all that room for them.

They're in the house the first year, then out during the summer for the second year, then into that small pen for the third year. After they hibernate that winter they wake up in their new 'big boy' yard.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

@terryo !!!!!!!!!! It's your birthday today! You didn't show up on the birthday list, so I missed it. But :

I hope you had a wonderful, turtle-filled day of fun and happiness!!!​