New from Canada

Torthound14

Location (City and/or State)
Saskatoon
New to forum. From Saskatoon SK Canada. I have a seemingly healthy tortoise, but is growing more rapidly than I read in other older info and forums.

Some forum are saying 3 to 5 grams a month. Lola is gaining far more than that...but is still low on the Jackaon ratio. As her shell is growing rapidly too.

Feeding purely plant and veggie with a little fruit as a treat twice a week.

I believe she is a Hermann's...but the pet store could not guarantee.

Attachments

• 20220320_162616.jpg
    20220320_162616.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Jan A

Boulder, CO
New to forum. From Saskatoon SK Canada. I have a seemingly healthy tortoise, but is growing more rapidly than I read in other older info and forums.

Some forum are saying 3 to 5 grams a month. Lola is gaining far more than that...but is still low on the Jackaon ratio. As her shell is growing rapidly too.

Feeding purely plant and veggie with a little fruit as a treat twice a week.

I believe she is a Hermann's...but the pet store could not guarantee.
Well, hello & welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for the most up-to-date care information, enclosure discussions & there are some of us who can be quite entertaining outside of tortoise care. But most of all we all care about out turtles & torts & helping each other out.

I myself own a redfoot tortoise, so am not much help on other species but there will be others dropping by to say hi & get you up to speed. Questions are ALWAYS welcome!! Again, welcome!

Torthound14

Saskatoon
Well, hello & welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for the most up-to-date care information, enclosure discussions & there are some of us who can be quite entertaining outside of tortoise care. But most of all we all care about out turtles & torts & helping each other out.

I myself own a redfoot tortoise, so am not much help on other species but there will be others dropping by to say hi & get you up to speed. Questions are ALWAYS welcome!! Again, welcome!
Thanks for the welcome!!! And hope your redwood is doing well!!!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Female hermann’s typically can reach anywhere from 6-10 inches big. The larger the space the healthier she will be as well. Make sure you are spraying and damping the substrate moving it around until its dark so that it’s not dry. You might have to do this multiple times a day.

Torthound14

Saskatoon
She is already over 6 inches. I have her in a very large terrarium for when I am at work but let her out often.

Hermann's are supposed to have arid environment no? I always have water in her habitat. But I usually keep it quite dry. And because she's young I give her daily soak usually in the morning. (We call it spa time)

I have to keep her indoors mostly as its too cold where I live.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hi, Im also from Can, im sure someone will be able to help you with your questions and confirm if it’s a hermann’s. Welcome!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum. I am not an expert but I have learned a lot here. I think she is being kept too dry.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you please post some pictures of her closer up, top and bottom?

Torthound14

Saskatoon
She eats lots. But still slightly under weight using Jackson ratio.

Very active. And weirdly social. I never expected that when getting her.

Hope to see everyone else's torts too

Attachments

• 20211009_122004.jpg
    20211009_122004.jpg
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 1

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
It's possible. But she doesn't have any bell shape in the back like in that link. But she not even 18 months. But she's already 6 inches. (Thanks for the link!!)

This is definitely a marginated.

She would not have developed the large skirt shape yet as that can take several years.

Marginated (as well as Hermann's, Greeks, and others) do well in high humidity. Here's the best care info:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is definitely a marginated.

She would not have developed the large skirt shape yet as that can take several years.

Marginated (as well as Hermann's, Greeks, and others) do well in high humidity. Here's the best care info:

Way to go.

Torthound14

Saskatoon
Thanks Tammy J and Zissou! Happy I came to this forum! Previous research said arid environment so my humidity has probably been low. Appreciate the tips! Like I said she seems super healthy so far. I have a large shallow pool of water in habitat so maybe that helped. But i will start spraying substrate regularly.

My only concern was maybe growing too fast? 19 months old and over 600 grams and 6 inches. Lost of pictures on here the torts seem smaller.

But knowing she's a marginated....they are bigger than hermanns normally correct?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Yes they are fairly large, about 9-12" and 3 kg. Eastern Hermann's can get that large though.

At 600 g, I would guess that your tort is probably 3-4 years old at this point. Though, it's impossible to say for sure since they grow at different rates. Don't focus too much on the Jackson Ratio stuff. It's meant to be a rough density measurement for tortoises to assess health. If she's eating well you don't have to worry.

Your tort needs, or will need in the very near future a much larger space, something on the order of 4 x 8 feet. Marginated are quite hardy. You should be able to keep it outside for a few months from perhaps July-September in your area. Year round outdoors is not an option for you given how far north you are. You can also brumate your tortoise for a few months in the winter. There are threads here on the forum about brumation.