New From IL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bierkamp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alton IL - Chicago, IL
My name is Travyn and I own a six year old "blonde" Leopard Tortoise named Tucker, who has had a rough past. I'm here to consistently grow and become a better mom.

About Tuck
I found Tuck when he was one (so they say) at a hockey Tournament in a run down pet store near an ice rink in Jeff City, MO. The owner of the shop had a baby Galapagos the size of an mandarin orange, (which an arizona man bought for 75$) and another tortoise that was the size of my palm. I did not want a chelonian, having only ever owned Mali Uromastyx lizards. But, because she was literally going to throw him away, i took him. the lady informed me that the tortoise was a female blonde leopard tortoise. I named 'her' tuck.
The lady at the store instructed me that tuck's diet consisted mainly of fruit and greens. I followed her dieting directions for a good four years, unfortunately. I was always a successful lizard owner, but when my last Mali past away, I started noticing things about Tuck I should have seen much earlier than I did.
Tucks shell was disgustingly soft. Unimaginably soft. He was pyramiding. Freaked out, i searched for a cause. I found that fruit decreased calcium, and he was suffering from MBD. I immediatley made a change.
Three years later. Tuck (now affirmed male, thanks to 'flashing') has a shell as hard as a Diamond. His beak his long, (getting trimmed soon) and he still has a bumpy shell - side effects from my horrible parenting in his early life. He's twice as large as he was three years ago, and a completely different tort. He's so happy. And although his shell will never be the same, I hope that we can share THE REST of our life together as healthily as possible.
Hopefully the Tortoise forum will aid me in my pursuit to be a good owner for Tuck. I'm here for advice, learning, and growing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME.:D I am also in IL, the city of Chicago to be exact. Do be hard on yourself about Tucks past. There are many out there that got the same bad advice as you. Unfortunately, a lot of bad advice is still coming out of pet stores and even some breeders:(. Sound like you got him on track now. Would love to see pics.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Sounds like you've certainly got him on the right track.

Unfortunately, when you are misinformed by someone at a pet store, whom should know what they are talking about, most people listen, considering them some what of an authority on the matter. And it's a hard call, because some pet stores are pros, some are complete buffoons.

Thankfully, there are places like this where pretty much any needed information is readily at your fingertips! The internet is a wonderful thing, it is.

Welcome, and enjoy. :D I look forward to seeing pictures of Tuck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Travyn:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I have several "pineapple" tortoises too, and I should have known better. It happens to the best of us. The thing is, you've now made a conscious decision to improve Tuck's life...so its all good! Or, as Martha would say, "Its a good thing!"

I think you're going to enjoy being a member of our family. If you have a lot of time to spend on the computer, you should join us over on the "pretend chat" section, where we talk about anything and everything and get to know each other.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-pretend-chat#axzz21807meBN

Status
Not open for further replies.