suckered into tortoise!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mragroti

5 Year Member
Hello, as a mother of 2 small children (5 and 2) I was not ready to introduce a pet to our family yet. But as my son was beginning school we were informed that his teacher wanted us to bring in something (animal,plant,shell,dirt) for the Nature Corner in his classroom. Somehow my child convinced me to go to a pet shop were we picked out this adorable little turtle. 50 euros later after all it accessories we left and brough Mr. Tuck home.

I have to admit I fell for the little girl ( yes she is a girl named Mr. Tuck, but my son really wanted a boy) and the thought of sending her to live in a classroom full of screaming 5 year olds was horrible to me!! So we decided to keep her home and bring a basil plant to school!!

So now I have this little 2-3 inch turtle( who is a Greek Tortoise by the way) that i have absolutely no idea to care for!!! The pet shops here in Cyprus are not the most knowledgable and I got such conflicting advice, one lady told me that I should never leave the tortoise in direct sunlight and to feed her only arugala! The other told me to just feed her fruit and carrots !!!!

So here I am, I have this tiny little tortoise who now lives on my balcony that my kids adore ( especially the 2 year old who tries to hold all her food to feed her) and just trying to figure out the best way to provide Mr.Tuck with a good home!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like your 5 year old suckered you into one of the best decisions of your life! If you can post pics of your tortoises carapace (top shell) and plastron (bottom shell) we will most likely be able to identify the exact subspecies of your tortoise, if you can try to get a tail shot we should be able to tell if it is a male or female if it is old/big enough. If we can see pics of your tortoise we can give you better care advice because there are many different subspecies of greeks and for the most part they all have different care requirements.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Also post pictures of your enclosure and a run down of how you are keeping it. Temps basking spot, day time all over temp and night temps. Soakings, how often, substrate, types of lights using, dishes etc. knowing nothing about them and getting bad advice from the store. You really need to give us everything you can so we can tell you the right way.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Was so happy to read that you could not send the little shelled critter to school....lol

Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, mragrotti!

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Hi! Welcome to the forum! Everyone here will be able to give you great advice for your new little tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.