New here! Help. (Poor Appetite)

Saraa

Location (City and/or State)
Naples
I got a food lamp very adjustable and very sturdy. I have to get a basking bulb though a food bulb is ultra hot.
I will watch out for that. I have been watching the temp in her enclosure carefully now. Hopefully the no substrate will not last too long.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I will watch out for that. I have been watching the temp in her enclosure carefully now. Hopefully the no substrate will not last too long.
Do you notice if she eats one or the other substrates? If it's just one then just use the other. You said one of the substrates was coconut husk. Is it coconut husk or coco coir?

Saraa

Naples
Do you notice if she eats one or the other substrates? If it's just one then just use the other. You said one of the substrates was coconut husk. Is it coconut husk or coco coir?
She was eating coconut husks and I have found she is eating the fir bark as well. I tried to just get rid of the coconut husk at first.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
And as far as Tom's post #10, The ceramic socket's which are meant for High temp bulb's/elements, need to be HUNG from an overhead support.
Do not attempt to use any of the "clamp" fixtures, if (they do frequently) they fail, they will fall and if left unattended for any time will cause a fire...

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
And as far as Tom's post #10, The ceramic socket's which are meant for High temp bulb's/elements, need to be HUNG from an overhead support.
Do not attempt to use any of the "clamp" fixtures, if (they do frequently) they fail, they will fall and if left unattended for any time will cause a fire...
And also if it falls on your tort yipes!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
What is a "food lamp"?
It's those restaurant lights or heat lamps you see hanging in the pass through between the kitchen & the eating areas to keep food warm before it's served. The bulbs are higher wattage than what is used in tort or turtle enclosures.

Saraa

Naples
At what point should I be worried she might be impacted? She has a very tiny poop of a woodchip yesterday. I did a warm soak tonight and that usually has her going multiple times and she did not go at all. She did release the white stuff she normally does. Also still not eating. She seems a little more easily fatigued that normal today as well

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I believe bridgebob has been advised that food lamps are too hot for torts, so stick to the advice you've been given.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
At what point should I be worried she might be impacted? She has a very tiny poop of a woodchip yesterday. I did a warm soak tonight and that usually has her going multiple times and she did not go at all. She did release the white stuff she normally does. Also still not eating. She seems a little more easily fatigued that normal today as well
Is she straining a lot trying to poop?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I thin
I'm not sure where the food lamps came into play in the conversation. But I got thr basking lamp and uvb lamp
Bb mentioned them above.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
How does her cloaca look? (vent in tail) Swollen, anything lodged in it? Some pics may help.

If my tort seems constipated I feed some cucumber - no skin or seeds - it has a laxative effect BUT if your tort is impacted I don't know if that will help her or make it worse.

I'll tag some members with more medical knowledge @Yvonne G @zovick @ZenHerper @TeamZissou @Jacqui @Tom hopefully they'll be able to help.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Try a car ride. Make sure you put her in a box. Most of the time car rides can do the trick. Just take a ride and enjoy the sites. Hopefully it will work, everytime I have had Opo in the car. He has been successful and many members have experienced the same thing.

Saraa

Naples
Nothing appears swollen. Typically the bath does the trick. But the car ride might as well.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
I know my EBT eats her substrate, because I have to pull it out of her mouth occasionally.

Doesn't seem to affect her at all though. Very active and her shell is perfect!

It's like Werewolves, their hair is always perfect and you have to meet their tailor! My EBT's shell is perfectly tailored and she is totally perfectly coifed!

She had her egg and fruit today and went berserk. I turned her heat lamp off and she settled down under her UV.

She is now giving me the EYEBALL. She knows I have food. That EYEBALL doesn't blink or move!