New here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kandi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phelan, Ca
I am having the same problem with my turtles (2 young desert tortoises). I didn't have it till I changed the substrate to alfalpha pellets and timmmy hay mix. Could it be one of those? I also keep them in a plastic wading pool with basking light and heat lamp. I remove the poo and any pellets that have gotten wet. Once a month I dump out completely and wash it out with the hose and some simple green. I have a 19yr male old as well. Just before hibernating his eyes looked a bit moister than usual but I also read that stopping eating (like before hibernating) can cause that too but last year they didn't look that way before he went under but he had eaten closer to the hibernating time than this year. Please any advice would be great! Thanks, Kandi

Kandi

5 Year Member
Phelan, Ca
RE: Strange swollen eyes

Also, my vet said not to use vitamins supplements but to make sure they get plenty of sun. That isn't possible now of course. They have slowed down even though they have a basking lamp and a ceramic heat emitter. ???? Thanks, Kandi

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kandi:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I think you'll find that when you change back to a substrate that you can moisten, your tortoises will be much happier. The pellets and hay are not good to use.

What kind of light are you using. The spiral bulbs cause eye problems.

If you've just noticed the eyes swollen since they've stopped eating, then its probably food related. My suggestion is to soak them in water with a few drops of liquid bird vitamins in it every day for about 15 minutes.

A tortoise that is under heat and lights, with days about 14 hours long shouldn't realize that its time to hibernate. So, take that thought out of the mix.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you want them to hibernate.. then you Dont want them to eat for at least two weeks before going to sleep.. they need to digest out all the food they eat..
keep them warm and plenty of light and they wont go to sleep.. take their food away.. give them a good soaking and slowly lower the temp and they will go under..

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Laura said:
you Dont want them to eat for at least two weeks before going to sleep.. they need to digest out all the food they eat..

Personally, I don't think it takes nearly that long to clear their gut out.

Status
Not open for further replies.