New Hermann added ...

ditzyangeluk

Location (City and/or State)
Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
I have two Hermanns, aged just over two, so unsexed. I have just added a third Hermann, yesterday, a year old (so again unsexed) but about the same size and weight as the other two.
One of my 2 year olds has been mounting the new one and doing the face/expressions/mouthing that I have seen when tortoises are mating. I know that they are too young so is it a dominance thing? Should I be wary at this age?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You'd better take care: one of them could harm the other. Thought of separating them? Good luck whaterver you decide to do.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Too late now, but you should also have quarantined the new tortoise. There's a risk of parasites, respiratory infection, etc.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The old one is territorial and trying to drive off the new one. It can get really ugly and end in death. Subjecting the new one to this is unkind at best. Tortoises will not behave better to each other over time. The only hope of keeping a group is to put them all into a huge new habitat with plenty of sight breaks and hides, but even that is dicey. Separate them. And don't be surprised if you have to separate your pair when they mature.