New hermanns hatchling!!

AndrewTillmann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
De Pere, Wisconsin
Just got this adorable tort at a reptile expo. I couldn't say no to this face. He's joining my russian tort Doug who is about six. Anyone wanna give me some advice on having a hatchling? I know the basic care of a hermanns but is there anything different while they're hatchlings? Thank you! ImageUploadedByTortForum1379884525.556004.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1379884564.130969.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
OMG HE IS SO FREAKIN CUTE! Since he's a Mediterranean tortoise, should be very similar....moist and warm and consistency.

What is he like? Tell us about his personality. Assuming he's an Eastern? I love mine, but he's 4 years old...but still adorable.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

AndrewTillmann

5 Year Member
De Pere, Wisconsin
He's very personable and very active. He stays out of his shell almost all the time:)
For an enclosure, do they need about the same heat and humidity levels as a russian? For diet, from what I've read it's mostly greens such as kale and collards and mustards. Is this accurate?

Thank you guys!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Too cute for words!! Congrats!! Makes me want a baby, too. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE], & Aussies (@YWG)

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I'm not sure if you are housing your Russian and Hermmans together, If you are, I would suggest separating them. Fresh weeds are the best diet. If you have no fresh weeds available, you can use a diet of grocery store greens. Variety is key, Kale, mustard greens, dandelion greens, collards, turnip greens are all good choices. You should also include some other veggies for about 20% of their diet. Squash, pumpkin, carrots are good examples. Sometimes, I buy baby food... squash, green beans, peas, carrots and such and smear it on the " greens". I do feed mostly fresh weeds that I grow. Opuntia cactus is very good for them, certain flowers too. Hibiscus and rose of Sharon are good examples. I can't remember the name of the site, I think its tortoisetable? , anyway, its a good guide as to what is safe to feed and what is not.

AndrewTillmann

5 Year Member
De Pere, Wisconsin
They aren't together! They have their separate houses. I'm building Herman a table right now so he's living in a 15 gallon tub with coco coir and both UVA and UVB light bulbs. His temperature is between 75 and 82 degrees during the day and 64-68 degrees at night. He also has 60-70% humidity at all times. I will start varying his diet with the things you listed.
He's very active and a very personable little guy so I think I'm doing an okay job so far. Let me know if there's anything else I should change!

Thank you for your help!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
He needs a basking spot around 95*F. 82 is not warm enough. He should have about 95*F basking spot with the temperature fading to the low 70's on the cool side.

AndrewTillmann

5 Year Member
De Pere, Wisconsin
Okay. I upped the wattage on his UVA heat bulb to a 50 watt instead of a 25 and his basking side is up to 93*F now.

He seems super healthy. I had him outside today with my Russian tort Doug and they were both very active and explorative.

Thank you for your knowledge!

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
AndrewTillmann said:
Just got this adorable tort at a reptile expo. I couldn't say no to this face. He's joining my russian tort Doug who is about six. Anyone wanna give me some advice on having a hatchling? I know the basic care of a hermanns but is there anything different while they're hatchlings? Thank you!

Andrew, I have Hermanns myself. I love them, he/she is soooo cute. I keep though my different tortoise species seperate. Russians, Hermanns, Greeks.:)

AndrewTillmann

5 Year Member
De Pere, Wisconsin
AndrewTillmann said:
Just got this adorable tort at a reptile expo. I couldn't say no to this face. He's joining my russian tort Doug who is about six. Anyone wanna give me some advice on having a hatchling? I know the basic care of a hermanns but is there anything different while they're hatchlings? Thank you!

Andrew, I have Hermanns myself. I love them, he/she is soooo cute. I keep though my different tortoise species seperate. Russians, Hermanns, Greeks.:)

No worries, mine are separate too! :)

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
AndrewTillmann said:
AndrewTillmann said:

No worries, mine are separate too! :)
:)